Technical Fuel Filter change

Currently reading:
Technical Fuel Filter change

Brittleware

Hi y'all. I have a new fuel filter (Diesel) sitting here waiting to be fitted. The fuel lines/pipes are in silly places, plus no pliers I have will release any of them - including some bought specifically to remove quick disconnect hoses on Fiat/PSA vehicles. Can this job be done without removing the pipes - or alternatively has anyone tried getting the pipes off by unbolting the filter housing so as to get better access to the fuel lines?

I replaced my diesel fuel filter about 18 months ago and, from memory, I'm sure all the pipes at the top of the filter had to be removed. This involved pressing in the coloured release 'button' on the end of the each pipe connector whilst simultaneously pulling the pipe off the filter. Slackening the large plastic ring which holds the top of the filter onto the filter body was the most difficult part of the procedure, but it came loose after a bit of a struggle.

I replaced my diesel fuel filter about 18 months ago and, from memory, I'm sure all the pipes at the top of the filter had to be removed. This involved pressing in the coloured release 'button' on the end of the each pipe connector whilst simultaneously pulling the pipe off the filter. Slackening the large plastic ring which holds the top of the filter onto the filter body was the most difficult part of the procedure, but it came loose after a bit of a struggle.
I forgot to ask, did you use pliers to take the lines off? Plus it looks like the strut brace had better come off to get access?

No need to remove the strut brace and the three pipe connectors can be removed by pressing in the coloured release catches with your fingers whilst rotating and pulling the connector off the filter. I used a small screw driver to press the release catches in/out several times to ensure they were moving freely before trying to detach the pipes. You may need to improvise some form of strap wrench to slacken the ring nut holding the filter top to the filter body. Once removed, the rest of the job is a doddle.

When tightening the ring nut, there is a mark on the nut which should sit between two marks on the filter body to ensure its correct tightness. After you have fitted the new filter, I seem to remember that you have to switch the ignition on and off about 10 times to fill and bleed the filter before attempting to start the engine.

Back