Fuel Consumption Question

Currently reading:
Fuel Consumption Question

Robyn Marie

I have a fiat 500 1.2L lounge model. My mpg is on 40.5 and I am getting nearly 200 miles to a full tank! Is this correct? Or is there something wrong, could you please suggest me some problems?

If car spot on and it's only doing short journeys, 40 mpg great. Best way is to put correct tyre pressures in and find nearest straight A road with a 40 or 50 limit. With a full tank and trip zeroed it should do average of 55-60 mpg (as close to lab conditions as you can get). If it doesn't do this there may be an issue. But as it's winter will use more fuel and take longer to warm up.

If car spot on and it's only doing short journeys, 40 mpg great. Best way is to put correct tyre pressures in and find nearest straight A road with a 40 or 50 limit. With a full tank and trip zeroed it should do average of 55-60 mpg (as close to lab conditions as you can get).

A 1.2 should do better than this. With a warm engine, zeroing the trip and driving for 20+ miles at a steady 50mph on level ground should get you a trip mpg figure into the '70's. You really need to do this in both directions as wind can easily affect a single trip figure by up to 10mpg.

That said, most of our 1.2 owners driving in a more normal way seem to report somewhere in the mid 40's overall, which is in broad agreement with the real world figures you'll find on honestjohn & fuelly. If you do a lot of short journeys, 40mpg is not a cause for concern.

Last edited:
A 1.2 should do better than this. With a warm engine, zeroing the trip and driving for 20+ miles at a steady 50mph on level ground should get you a trip mpg figure into the '70's. You really need to do this in both directions as wind can easily affect a single trip figure by up to 10mpg.

That said, most of our 1.2 owners driving in a more normal way seem to report somewhere in the mid 40's overall, which is in broad agreement with the real world figures you'll find on honestjohn & fuelly. If you do a lot of short journeys, 40mpg is not a cause for concern.

Wife did a 500 mile trip recently including stranded in the snow last week!, average MPG was 46.8, my 2L Mazda did 37 on a long run.

Over 10 fill ups using the fuelly website to keep track, i managed 40mpg , and thats without trashing the car, but not driving for economy , with a 1.2 lounge, and i also never switch off the aircon.

We live in rural North Yorkshire and get 48mpg or thereabouts. But no city driving at all. The car isn’t driven for economy albeit we turn the air conditioning off when going up steep hills to give the car a bit of a help !

i have covered 3500 miles in our 2017 1.2s since january, average according my road trip app is 44.1mpg. I spend most of my time on A roads at 60-70mph, plus a bit of time in traffic getting to faster roads (the OBC says 47.6)

Back