Technical Front wheel bearings.

Currently reading:
Technical Front wheel bearings.

AndersLS

Hello forum. Just want to make sure. The oil seal is pressed into the hub on top of the inner bearing…correct? Those seals are very hard to press in…I managed to damage one of them. The seals are coated in hard rubber…….easy to damage when pressing into hub.

Are there any good videos of this procedure on a 500F? Not interested in other videos on different cars….found plenty of those. Just the 500F classic.
CC8DF30A-3835-48C9-92E4-DA18814489A6.jpeg

Hello forum. Just want to make sure. The oil seal is pressed into the hub on top of the inner bearing…correct? Those seals are very hard to press in…I managed to damage one of them. The seals are coated in hard rubber…….easy to damage when pressing into hub.

Are there any good videos of this procedure on a 500F? Not interested in other videos on different cars….found plenty of those. Just the 500F classic.
View attachment 410674
Without looking at your hub, generally cars of that era, I used to replace/press both outer taper bearing rings into the hub making sure they had bottomed out / gone all the way. Then greased the inner bearing and dropped it into place, then pressed the oil seal in carefully using a suitable size socket making sure it was going in evenly with a little grease to help it and also some on the inner lip where the seal rubs in use. Then put more grease, not too much in the hub, push the hub onto the shaft, grease the outer bearing and push it in followed by its washer and adjuster/locknut.
Normally I would nip it up and then with the wheel on, back the nut off slightly to feel the minimum of free play so the bearing doesn't overheat, then lock the hub nut , whether by split pin or crimping the new nut into the groove to secure safely.
All this I say in general terms, as some cars have a fixed stop position so cannot be adjusted, just torqued up to a stop.
The only time it was different was some vehicles the oil seal went all the way inside the hub followed by the inner bearing assemble etc.
Was it you with the bearing stuck on the axle? if so and the oils seal was with that stuck bearing then I would assume the assembly is like I first described.
Most times just gently offer it up and it will become obvious.
If the seal is maybe not quite to OEM spec. then a slight taper / lead ground on it will help it in, but it must be pressed dead in line.

View attachment 410674
I have always put these seals in with a coating of 'rubber grease' (yes, it does exist) on the outside of the new seal and then used a LARGE socket, up-side down. on the seal. By using a light hammer on the socket edge, one can tap the seal into position without having to hit the seal

Everything is easier with genuine parts, though these days not always available, so tolerances vary. Without being derogatory I noticed the bearings were made in Poland, so possible the seal is not quite to O.E.M. spec. Without using a vernier and comparing with the original and the hub we will never know.

Back