Technical Front Washers

Currently reading:
Technical Front Washers

kwoktang

Hi All,

Thanks for your help with my previous problem, have a new one (albeit hopefully a small issue)

When i use the front washers on my 1.6 hlx auto, i only get a very small amount of water coming through (a tiny little trickle) I can hear the washer motor going (it sounds pretty normal)

I was thinking that its probably a loose/burst pipe, is this a hard task to check for? If not can someone give me some directions as to how to check for a loose pipe for the front washer jet?

Also does anyone know if this will be a MOT failure? And anyone know what a reasonable price to fix this would be? (worse case, i.e. the motor has failed)

Thanks,

Sorry to say it is an MoT fail. I don't think the front pipes are that hard to trace. Maybe open the pipe somewhere and check if the pump is still working is the first step?

on mine it was the splitter that was the problem it is just under the bonnet sound proofing new one cost me £2.50 from fiat

as others have said enlist a willing helper...

locate the hose where it runs to the bonnet lid

find the Y splitter and pull the hose off...

now get your helper to activate the washer on the stalk...

if you have good pressure their you have managed to narrow it down to either the Y splitter (it has a non return valve in it immsmc) or blocked jets

(have you used washing up liquid in the bottle by any chance or just used plain water? either of these can cause a blockage either by the gelling agent in the WUL or limescale in the water (most screen wash additives have a water softener in)

if you have little pressure with the hose off

pull the pump off the tank they normally push fit onto a rubber spigot remove the rubber and most have a filter built in (the rubber seal is like a cup in shape with pin holes to act as a filter to protect the pump

a new pump shouldn't cost that much IF thats faulty and it is a DIY able job pull off old pump pull off both hoses (one for front and one for back) and unclip the cable re assemble in reverse order (y)

Thanks for the replies, theres water coming in from the y splitter so i'm guessing the pump is fine and its the y splitter at fault. Going to find one now.

Problem happpenned because i did the stupid new driver thing which is to use the jets when its -5 degrees thinking it will be fine i need some water to clear the frost....

just contact your local fiat agent they are only £3 from them noot worth chasing around at that price

Back