Technical Front shocks changed and so much better

Currently reading:
Technical Front shocks changed and so much better

Voko

I thought my front shocks were a bit tired, and still trying to stop an annoying knock/rattle at low speed....so I spent this morning changing them for new KYB ones at £85 a pair on eBay (I wanted a 'standard' ride).....no huge problems, just one of the lower bolts, that needed more that a gentle tap to get it out....

I also got to try out my Christmas present (good spring compressors)

The old (original) shocks had obviously seen better days, very little resistance to compress and no push back to extend...

Anyway, I've just been for an extended test drive and the car is transformed...my knock has gone, bumps are much less harsh and the body control and handling is way better, it feels like a new car now!

Very pleased for such a modest investment....and there's some sunny days coming for my commute to work....

I guess the only down side is I might have to do the same to the rear too!

Mike

Glad to hear that it was successful. I love it when I got mine done. Get the rears done and then have a 4 wheel laser alignment done. That's the cherry on top of the cake....

I replaced my front struts two years ago, really a straight forward job. While I was at it I cleaned the bearings and races and repacked them. I really never thought about a realignment because everything bolts back into the exact same position. While replacing the exhaust system(from cat onward) last weekend, I discovered one of my rear shocks had almost broke free from it's mount at the bottom. The bushing was still in place but the shock was on such an angle it was almost free. I reinstalled it and secured it with an oversized washer. Now if I replace the rear shocks which I should do I suppose, a four wheel alignment is in order? The car handles excellent as it is but I don't want to damage my tires.

The rear shocks have no say in alignment and I don't think there's any adjustment at the rear anyway, but worth getting front checked now and again anyway especially if you've done significant work..I've changed my track rod ends too (also cheap and easy) so will definitely get it done. I've got my KYB rear shocks now, very cheap, just waiting for my little helper to be free, to teach her some car mechanics !

Last edited:
The rear shocks have no say in alignment and I don't think there's any adjustment at the rear anyway, but worth getting front checked now and again anyway especially if you've done significant work..I've changed my track rod ends too (also cheap and easy) so will definitely get it done. I've got my KYB rear shocks now, very cheap, just waiting for my little helper to be free, to teach her some car mechanics !
Rear shocks changed - only took half an hour once on the ramps. The old shocks weren't as bad as the fronts, but still noticeably below par compared to the new.....drives nicely now a trip to work tomorrow will be a good test [emoji3]

Back