free road tax rolling date,

Currently reading:
free road tax rolling date,

seeing that the conservaties introduced the free road tax for cars built before
feb 1973, when or if they come back in power (next year?) should the federation and other car clubs, lobby them to have the date brought forward to 1985? also lobby our local mp as well.

Then again, how many pre-1985 cars are in regular use? I doubt if it would be a big revenue loss to re-introduce the rolling road 25+ year tax exemption and I've no idea why it was frozen in the first place. Plus if they did bring the 25 year exemption back it would only be another four years before all four of my cars would be tax free :D

maybe not a 25year rolling date, but move the date to 31st december 1979, it's ridiculous at the moment, the amount of cars left has got to be minmal and the cars built in the 70's have got to be pretty special in most cases to last this long, 1980's saw the introduction of better methods of construction, more reliable engines, better build quality, and rust proofing so even now a 1980s car is capable of being used year round with little effort.

I always suspected that it stopped in 73 because most post 73 cars could be used as practical everyday cars,things like 5 speed 'boxes were becoming an option on a lot of european cars,Ford took a while longer but Alfa and Fiat had them.

maybe not a 25year rolling date, but move the date to 31st december 1979, it's ridiculous at the moment, the amount of cars left has got to be minmal and the cars built in the 70's have got to be pretty special in most cases to last this long, 1980's saw the introduction of better methods of construction, more reliable engines, better build quality, and rust proofing so even now a 1980s car is capable of being used year round with little effort.

not many 80's rover and BL stock left. shame really i liked them.

then again free road tax on all them cosworths.... but they cost the same as a 1600 sierra to tax

Then again, how many pre-1985 cars are in regular use? I doubt if it would be a big revenue loss to re-introduce the rolling road 25+ year tax exemption and I've no idea why it was frozen in the first place. Plus if they did bring the 25 year exemption back it would only be another four years before all four of my cars would be tax free :D

when the labour party came to power and set their budget,it was mutterd though that nobody noticed they had stopped it, till later,:mad: getting back at the conservaties. nice one gordon brown!(n)

I always suspected that it stopped in 73 because most post 73 cars could be used as practical everyday cars,things like 5 speed 'boxes were becoming an option on a lot of european cars,Ford took a while longer but Alfa and Fiat had them.

It was more to do with the fact that the first Budget after Labour came into power occurred in 1997/ 1998. The changes were then enforced in 1998 which was 25 years after 1973 and this was when the tax exemption was frozen. I also doubt that many post 73 cars right up to the mid 1980's would be practical everyday transport as decent rust proofing didn't really come in until the late 1980's and later. Even many 1990's cars are rusting to bits now so imagine what 30+ year old cars would be like!

I'm still quite happy driving my 1989 Uno though ;)

Ah but if you think about it road tax is based upon emissions, it's doubtfull that the government in light of kyoto would want any amount of non-cat cars on the road and things like cats degrade, finding a manufacturer of cats for models of 15 years age+ (when it gets to that point) is probably going to be unlikely. Therefore in one fell swoop I solve the conundrum of why rolling free tax was abandoned.

Ah but if you think about it road tax is based upon emissions, it's doubtfull that the government in light of kyoto would want any amount of non-cat cars on the road and things like cats degrade, finding a manufacturer of cats for models of 15 years age+ (when it gets to that point) is probably going to be unlikely. Therefore in one fell swoop I solve the conundrum of why rolling free tax was abandoned.

no it's not, the post 2001 supposedly is, the pre 2001 is based on two different engine classes. you pay the same for a 1.6 as for a 6.0 doesn't make much sense to me, but then i wouldn't want it the changed as they'd use it as an excuse for further rises.

Me too! Though the tax-free element is not seen as encouragement to own one; it's just a perk really It's supposedly to reflect the fact that classics are used less than 'normal' cars, tho Hugo was my daily drive for a few years :slayer: I would still have him even if he cost me an extra £125pa :cool:

Back