Styling Fiat Uno Fire 95 Customizastion Q's

Currently reading:
Styling Fiat Uno Fire 95 Customizastion Q's

Sl1ver

Hi guys i got a couple of questions
My dad bought me this car and even thought maybe at the end of this year i can buy myself a other car he recommend i keep it so that i have 2.

I think its a good idea, i want to put money into the car but i dont want to sell it as i know i wont get my money back

Q's
1. Do you guys think that installing a carputer (computer in the car) with GPS is doable?

2. How much, if possible do u guys think a turbo will cost for the uno?

3. Is there any dashboard thati can put into the uno to make it look better if not is it possible to install a new dashboard(only the part with the speedometer is on and stuff) into the car

4. Whats the cheapest way, without buying cans of paint myself to repaint the cars?

5. If i reupholster the seats, do i get new sponge or whatever it is or will i have to ask for it as an extra?

6. If i were ever able to afford a egine what size engine could i fit into it

Guys must think im nut if i want to do all of this to my car, but what the hell you only live once.

Actually not, Im in Cape Town, but i just want general ideas. Building up the car wont be over night but i want the car to fill my needs, at first i didn't want to be seen in a uno and now i actually what a nice car it actually is

I got a Uno Fire 1995 2 door model, thats all i know

well you're in luck, there is a very strong uno following down there:

http://www.abarthclub.org.za

used to be a couple of companys there, that did a very nice bodykit for the mk2, and plenty tuning shops too, get plugged into that lot, i'm sure the can give you a better idea of pricing. enginewise, well what every you want will fit, with the appropriate work, i did have links to a couple of places i think in cape town and jo'burg that did some mental cars and engines, but lost them, im sure the chaps at abarth club can sort you out(y)

I got a spal electric window kit, how difficult would it be to install on the uno or would u recommend it being done by a professional?

Hi guys i got a couple of questions
My dad bought me this car and even thought maybe at the end of this year i can buy myself a other car he recommend i keep it so that i have 2.

I think its a good idea, i want to put money into the car but i dont want to sell it as i know i wont get my money back

Hi and welcome to the forum :wave:

First of all, very, very few people can modify a car and get their money back when they sell it. Car modifying is a labour of love and should never be done if you want to make money unless your name is Boyd Coddington or Chip Foose ;)

Q's
1. Do you guys think that installing a carputer (computer in the car) with GPS is doable?

Anything is doable if you have the time and/ or money. Any stand alone GPS system (Garmin, Tom Tom etc.) will work no problem with a suction pad and a cigarette lighter socket. Anything more will require re-wiring and possible and substantial reworking of the dashboard and wiring. It all depends on what exactly you want the 'carputer' to do.

How long is a piece of string? Firstly, you don't just buy a turbo and bolt it on. There is much, MUCH more involved than just a turbo charger. Your best bet is to find a complete donor Uno turbo (crashed/ rusted) and transplant ALL the running gear into your shell. This includes suspension and brakes also. The FIRE engine can be turbo charged as well but it won't be cheap. Check out the Cinq/ Sei section of the forum as there are some guides on turbocharging a FIRE engine in there.

3. Is there any dashboard thati can put into the uno to make it look better if not is it possible to install a new dashboard(only the part with the speedometer is on and stuff) into the car

Complete dashboard - no. Not without extensive modification/ customising. The clocks (instrument pod) can be swapped for an SX or Turbo pod which will give you a tachometer and more gauges.

4. Whats the cheapest way, without buying cans of paint myself to repaint the cars?

That is the cheapest way. You also get what you pay for when it comes to car painting. A cheap paint job will look just that - cheap. A good paint job costs money and requires time and preparation for a good finish. You can buy a compressor, spray gun and paint but you still need to do all the prep work if you want it to look good and not fall off when you first wash the car...

5. If i reupholster the seats, do i get new sponge or whatever it is or will i have to ask for it as an extra?

You can buy the sponge (foam) inserts from Fiat, that's if they still stock them. If you have your seats custom re-upholstered then the upholsterer you use will be able to advise you on this and whether they can custom fit some for you (at extra cost).

6. If i were ever able to afford a egine what size engine could i fit into it

Straight swap and easy? A 1500 X19/ Strada/ Regatta/ Delta engine or a 1.6 Tipo/ Tempra/ early Punto engine but you will need the running gear and mounts from a Lampredi engined Uno. With more money the Fiat 1.6/ 2.0 twin cam can be made to fit but expect the conversion kit to cost a fair bit. A Uno turbo engine will of course fit and give you plenty of power - price depends on how much you can pick up a running donor for. If you have deep enough pockets then anything can be made to fit...

Guys must think im nut if i want to do all of this to my car, but what the hell you only live once.

Start with one thing at a time, think it through properly before undertaking any part of the project and enjoy your Uno ownership.

Good luck! :)

Hi Silver,

i'm from Dbn.
i recently turbocharged my Uno 1100. it took me a little while since i saved cash and got things done properly but its now amazing.
it can be done.

before that i put on a set on Individual bike carburettors. 4 carbs. was fun to drive. but i wanted the feel of boost so i turbocharged it.
i did some weight reduction as well now my car weighs roughly 650kgs.
its very fast.
email me - [email protected] if u got any questions or need any tips. i'm glad to see guys are as crazy abt their Unos as i am.

Meh, Turbos are over-rated.
You should get a V-Tec.

vtech-disney-princess-laptop.jpg

Bit pricey though...

I have heard they "kick in" quite well though...

Last edited:
Back