Technical fiat tempra fan heater removal

Currently reading:
Technical fiat tempra fan heater removal

Honselman

Hi
My heater doesn't work. I located it under passenger side dash and have power on the cable. I have something dripping out of the heater so think it is damaged
How do I remove the heater as I can see only 2 screws from the under side and after removing them the heater wouldn't come out ?
Any ideas ?
Thanks

Hi,

Your post is confusing me. Do you want to take out the heater fan or the heater core?

On the one hand you say it leaks; the fan cannot leak so it must be the heater core. On the other hand you talk about a power cable, and the heater core has no power cable. It is not electric; it is just a small radiator. Also, the heater core is not located under the passenger side dash. It is exactly in the middle between the driver and passenger.

Benjamin

hi
The unit I'm talking about is round and sits under the passengers dash board ( My car is a left hand drive ). The cables from the heating control go straight to it and 2 of them plug into it. I have power on the cables and when I unplugged them there was water dripping out of the connection. I need to remove this unit and repair/replace it. I need to do it soon as it is so cold now. I purchased a fiat workshop manual which tells me how to do everything except fix my heater. Are there any other good fiat books avaliable ?
thanks
Gary

Hi,

Hellcat is right :) It looks like you are talking about the fan, and the way to remove it also in your left drive Tempra is to remove one screw and twist the fan to your left. Note that you would probably not be able to twist it unless you bend down (with a flat screwdriver) the little plastic tab that the screw went through so it would clear the wedged slope preventing it from turning. It requires some acrobatics and twisting of your body, but apart from that it is extremely simple to take out the fan.

Obviously there should be no water in the connector, and that may be your problem. The fan rarely fails (unless it was also subject to water). Clean and dry the connector on the cable as well as on the fan. Scrape any corrosion with a small file or sanding paper.

Benjamin

Regarding possible books for your Tempra. There is the Porter manual (do a search on the forum for more on that), which I do not like very much. There is also the Haynes 1988-1991 Tipo manual, which in my opinion is much better than the Porter manual.

1993 was a transitional year for the Tipo and Tempra. If your Tempra is of the older stock the Haynes manual (even though it says "1988-1991 Tipo") should be perfect for your car in almost all respects.

If you tell me your engine code (it should be something like 159A3000, 160A2000 etc.) I can probably tell you if your Tempra is "old stock" or not.

Benjamin

I have a 1996 Tempra 1.6 i.e. The problem is the ventilation system, it is winter in Israel now and the heat does not flow through to my feet, I can only get it to come through top vents to my face or perhaps to the windscreen. As hot air rises it is not desirable to have hot air blowing into one's face while ones feet remain cold.

How do I get access to the mechanics that control the feet heating vents?

Regarding possible books for your Tempra. There is the Porter manual (do a search on the forum for more on that), which I do not like very much. There is also the Haynes 1988-1991 Tipo manual, which in my opinion is much better than the Porter manual.Benjamin

Both manuals are at - www.brickfieldspark.org/temp/fiatmanuals/temprainfo.htm - the year dates on the Haynes manual is 1988-1991 but it should be good for things like the fan.

From the front doors forward the Tempra and Tipo are very similar.

The heater matrix is in the center of the car, I've never known it to leak and would be very difficult to remove if it does.

The fan is over the passenger's feet under the glove box regardless of left or right hand drive. The fan can be removed / changed easily, they usually suffer from dry bearings and with a little ingenuity the fan assembly can be dismantled and re-oiled/greased. If you can not get under there (you need to be flexible !) , take out the glove box assy.

Early Tipos and Tempras suffered from leaky windscreen sealing which can drain down into the fan assy or the fuse box depending on which side leaks. Tempras can show a similar problem but it is due to the front sunroof drain hoses coming adrift from the housing and draining down the window pillars.

Water in the fan assembly can also be caused by the drain in the air intake plenum (engine compartment) being blocked with leaves etc, it eventually backs up the air ducts into the fan assy.

Back