Technical Fiat Stilo 1.9 JTD Diesel which oil is required ?

Currently reading:
Technical Fiat Stilo 1.9 JTD Diesel which oil is required ?

roratone

Hi everyone this is my first post to the forums so apologies if this question has been asked many times before.

I recently purchased a Fiat Stilo 1.9 JTD diesel which I think is excellent it's my first ever fiat car in 15 years of motoring and I've been so impressed with it. I have a question regarding the oil it requires though, the owners handbook says the car requires 10w/40 fully synthetic oil or 5w/40 semisynthetic. Now I've never owned a diesel let alone a car that requires fully synthetic oil so hope someone can help.
I went to halfords yesterday to pick up some 10w/40 fully synthetic but they don't stock any brand in that grade they do a 10w/40 part synthetic or a 5w/40 fully synthetic. I wondered if anybody could give me advice where I can buy 10w/40 fully synthetic (without being charged the earth) or tell me if i can put the halfords 5w/40 fully synthetic in or mix with the 10w/40 part synthetic ? The car was serviced just before purchase and I believe they said they put in full synthetic but not sure what grade.
Any help on this would be very useful
Many thanks in advance

Hi Beau,
Thank you very much for the quick helpful reply and the very useful link.

All the best

Keep to synthetic oil as changing to a semi synthetic can cause oil seals to leak. That is general advice, not Stilo specific. Go to a motor factors shop and you will get the correct oil much cheaper than Halfrauds.

Don't even think of skimping on oil quality for a JTD - they barely use any so use the best.

Go for nothing cheaper than a 5W/40 fully synthetic. The 5W (or 0W) part stops any start-up clatter even on the coldest mornings

You can see what I'm using from my sig and that's about as expensive as oils get :)

Back