General Fiat scudo 1.9 white smoke exhaust

Currently reading:
General Fiat scudo 1.9 white smoke exhaust

Ant73

Hi everyone, I'm looking for some advice before I scrap my fiat scudo.1.9 2004
Around 2 weeks ago I had a new water pump and timing belt fitted due to no heating and it fixed the problem .
However, around a week after as I was driving, I started to lose power on acceleration and notice white smoke coming out of my exhaust.
When I tried to start it , it would start up and cut out after a few seconds with plumes of smoke from the exhaust

I rang the mobile mechanic I use who also fit the water pump / timing belt and he came to have a look . He checked to see if there was a problem with the timing and after about 30 mins getting to it ,said it definitely wasn't that , just checking to see if it has jumped I think he said . He scratched his head for another couple of hours trying to find the issue . He then managed to stop the white smoke so I thought the problem was sorted.
He also said that the fuel pump was pumping fine so ruled that out

When I got in the van to drive home , I noticed a higher pitch in how the engine sounds and also it seems to have lost the "umphh" on acceleration .
I decided then to pop the bonnet open and noticed to what I believe is a breather hose that had been left off . At 1st I thought he'd forgot to put it back on so I popped it back on , I then fired the van up and that smoke was back flying out of my exhaust as before . So hed obviously just removed it to stop the white smoke
Without the breather pipe on ,I don't get any smoke but loss of power on acceleration and with it on the engine sounds normal but I've all that white smoke

Can anyone tell me what's likely to be going on before I send it to the scrap
I've spent 400 or 500 on new parts and labour in the last 3 months and of course with the new pump and timing belt fit , I was hoping it would give me a few more miles , I've not even driven it more than 50 miles since timing done
Thanks

Hi,
You need to make a few more posts then you can post photos.
Please post a photo of their engine clearly showing the pipe that was left disconnected that you reconnected.
How many miles on van?
Best wishes
Jack

Hi,
You need to make a few more posts then you can post photos.
Please post a photo of their engine clearly showing the pipe that was left disconnected that you reconnected.
How many miles on van?
Best wishes
Jack
I will do yes thanks. The van has 121,000 on the clock . I will take a photo of the hose thats been removed

As you can see from the images, you can see the hose attached and also removed which is how the mechanic left it .
If I fire the van up with it back in place , I'll get plumes of white smoke from the exhaust. Wthout it on , I don't but as mentioned loss of acceleration power

Attachments

• 1680357582500_20230401_145140.jpg
    1680357582500_20230401_145140.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 43
  • 1680357572369_20230401_145212.jpg
    1680357572369_20230401_145212.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 40
Please can we have some more pictures with camera further away?
Roughly what diameter is the pipe that's loose ?

Does that look like your engine?

Its looks similar yes but a little different
This is an image of what mine looks like , if put a red line around where that hose goes in which is to the right

Attachments

• 20230401_153158.jpg
    20230401_153158.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 37
Good pic

Is the pipe was loose about an inch in diameter- if it is then I think it could be the engine breather.

I suggest you remove the air filter and have a look to see if it's completely clogged.

Good pic

Is the pipe was loose about an inch in diameter- if it is then I think it could be the engine breather.

I suggest you remove the air filter and have a look to see if it's completely clogged.
Thanks , yes the air filter seems to be fine . It was recently changed when serviced.
I was told it was more than likely the engine breather by a mate of mine but he wasn't 100% without seeing it . As you've just mentioned it as well , it probably is. Mechanic I use obviously can't seem to get to the issue of the white smoke so he's just removed that hose . All he said was, I think you should be ok now ," its stopped the white smoke from the exhaust" but.... I can certainly tell a difference on the accelerator and it just doesn't have any umphh at all

Check that the air pipe leading into air filter box isn't blocked.

I'm not impressed by the mobile mechanics actions.....

Disconnecting the breather could result in unfiltered air being drawn into engine via the turbo , which could lead to broken turbo and broken engine.

White smoke in a diesel is usually low engine compression or retarded injection timing(mobile mechanic claims to have checked this-though possibly also deliberately left breather off so do we trust them?)

Why would disconnecting breather change symptoms? ....would allow more air into inlet if inlet blocked somewhere upstream.

I'll do some checks tomorrow and have a look at that pipe leading to the air filter box and see if its blocked.
Maybe I should take it to a garage and get someone else to look at it before I send it on its way to the scrap heap .

He messed about pulling things apart under the bonnet for hours , he's noticed when he's left the engine breather pipe off that the white smoke stops pouring out of the exhaust so hes had enough and left it at that , made out that its sorted and I thought it did until I drove it back home . Then when I've checked under the bonnet notice that breather pipe disconnected and then realised he's left that off intentionally to stop the white smoke because when I pop it back on ,it starts again.

20230401_165858.jpg

Undo hose clip, move plastic tube out of way, look into hole , the butterfly valve should be fully open .

I asked where you were because If you were nearer I would have said come round and I would have had a look for nothing.
😀

Back