Technical fiat ducato 2.8 Jtd

Currently reading:
Technical fiat ducato 2.8 Jtd

wackiejack

Hi All I have a fiat ducato 2.8 jtd 2005 does anybody know where the washers go on the bottom tensioner pully i know you have to put the lipped spacer washer on before the pully but does the cover go on before the outer spacer or does the outer spacer go on before the cover, then the cover, then the flat spring washer and 17mm nut, just a bit confused as at the moment there is a washer then the flat spring washer then the nut it appears that the alternator belt has been rubbing on the cover and the cover is distorted any help would be appreciated.

Hi All I have a fiat ducato 2.8 jtd 2005 does anybody know where the washers go on the bottom tensioner pully i know you have to put the lipped spacer washer on before the pully but does the cover go on before the outer spacer or does the outer spacer go on before the cover, then the cover, then the flat spring washer and 17mm nut, just a bit confused as at the moment there is a washer then the flat spring washer then the nut it appears that the alternator belt has been rubbing on the cover and the cover is distorted any help would be appreciated.
I have done several on Ivecos with same engine, but not recently. Does this help.

Attachments

• DSCF0717.JPG
    DSCF0717.JPG
    461.2 KB · Views: 140
I have done several on Ivecos with same engine, but not recently. Does this help.
Hi Bugsymike Thank you for your help the diagram and fitting instructions do not mention the spacers looking at the diagram it does not show any spacer so maybe the spacer goes on the inside of the cover the Iveco engine is the same as the fiat as i am sure you would know, i do not know why they do not mention the spacers as they are important they also do not mention that the rollers are different sizes and what one goes where if somebody fits these in the wrong place then the next person will do the same once again thank you for your reply.

Hi Bugsymike Thank you for your help the diagram and fitting instructions do not mention the spacers looking at the diagram it does not show any spacer so maybe the spacer goes on the inside of the cover the Iveco engine is the same as the fiat as i am sure you would know, i do not know why they do not mention the spacers as they are important they also do not mention that the rollers are different sizes and what one goes where if somebody fits these in the wrong place then the next person will do the same once again thank you for your reply.
Sounds right to me , stepped spacer on inside of cover to prevent crushing plastic, but also to discourage moving the inner part where securing the tensioner when tightening cover outside nut.

Without any dismantling, but with the aid of torch and mirror, my 2.8jtd seemd to have a large plain washer, then the spring washer followed by the nut. It is quite possible that the plain "penny" washer was added by me when I replaced the belt a few years ago.

There is an excellent guide posted provided by @FreeSpirit in the downloads section, but I do not finf the order of reassembly 100% clear at the end of section 10.

On my vehicle I was more concerned about the cambelt rubbing on the upper cover, at the upper rear corner. The cambelt cover would not stay engaged with the groove in the engine (cylinder head) cover. I made a small bracket to hold the upper cam belt cover away from the belt.

Without any dismantling, but with the aid of torch and mirror, my 2.8jtd seemd to have a large plain washer, then the spring washer followed by the nut. It is quite possible that the plain "penny" washer was added by me when I replaced the belt a few years ago.

There is an excellent guide posted provided by @FreeSpirit in the downloads section, but I do not finf the order of reassembly 100% clear at the end of section 10.

On my vehicle I was more concerned about the cambelt rubbing on the upper cover, at the upper rear corner. The cambelt cover would not stay engaged with the groove in the engine (cylinder head) cover. I made a small bracket to hold the upper cam belt cover away from the belt.
That sound right from memory on my Iveco Dailys, the stepped washer, then the cover then the penny washer, locking washer and nut.

That sound right from memory on my Iveco Dailys, the stepped washer, then the cover then the penny washer, locking washer and nut.
Thanks people this has been very helpfull looking at the way my cover has been fitted it is the same, cover, penny washer, flat spring washer then nut i was wandering if this was right as the cover was distorted and the alternator belt had been rubbing on the cover.
On another matter all 2.8 jtd Iveco, Fiat engines have this fault my motorhome started to miss fire last year i traced it to injector on the 2nd cylinder (looking at the engine from the front into the engine bay) it appears that it is a common fault on this engine the injector wire plug breaks down and stops working on this cylinder only, i contacted Fiat to get a price for a new injector wire to be told i would have to purchase a complete loom at over £1000.00 when i recovered i made some other enquiries and a local auto electrician replaced just the plug and spliced it into the existing wire worked fine cost £40.00, the electrician said he had done a few Fiats with the same problem just thought it might be usefull for others to know about this.

Thanks for the information. I have only read of early 2.8jtd engines suffering from this fault, which has been atributed to, too little slack in the injector cables. When I had the cover off my engine, I took the opportunity to slacken the cable clamp, and tug the cables towards the injectors. It only needs about 2mm movement to gain the necessary slack. Also worth noting that repair kits with 3 sets of leads and crimps are available on Ebay for about £18.

Speak as you find but on the five Iveco Daily, vans, crewcabs and pick ups I had, some common rail and some earlier, for me they were the best all round Sofim diesel engines, reliable and with loads of torque, 3.5 tonne van loaded and could legally tow another 3.5 tonne at the same time and still return 24mpg in a basic front engine rear wheel drive format easy to work on was ideal. I did have one of the later 2.3 engine 3.5 tonne vans which returned 28 mpg, but preferred the 2.8 engine. I even fitted a 1998 Ducato 2.8 engine in a boat.

Speak as you find but on the five Iveco Daily, vans, crewcabs and pick ups I had, some common rail and some earlier, for me they were the best all round Sofim diesel engines, reliable and with loads of torque, 3.5 tonne van loaded and could legally tow another 3.5 tonne at the same time and still return 24mpg in a basic front engine rear wheel drive format easy to work on was ideal. I did have one of the later 2.3 engine 3.5 tonne vans which returned 28 mpg, but preferred the 2.8 engine. I even fitted a 1998 Ducato 2.8 engine in a boat.
Hi All well i have replaced the cam belt and it would appear that the problem with the cover being distorted is the position of the large washer, in the workshop manual posted by Bugsymike it shows the cover and then the flat spring washer you cannot see then the nut, the washer with a lip goes under the cover with the lip that engages in the hole in the cover, so the sequence is the large washer with the lip facing outward then the cover then the flat spring washer that makes contact with the lip then the nut, all appears to line up perfectly and the cover is straight but please check this out to make sure the sequence is correct for yourself

I have a Ducato 2.8 JTD 2009, a repair service was done on the diesel high pump, then it was necessary to repair the starter motor as well. It starts and runs in neutral, but when accelerating it dies immediately. It's been 3 days since the mechanic has been trying to identify the problem. What can it be?

I have a Ducato 2.8 JTD 2009, a repair service was done on the diesel high pump, then it was necessary to repair the starter motor as well. It starts and runs in neutral, but when accelerating it dies immediately. It's been 3 days since the mechanic has been trying to identify the problem. What can it be?
You will probably get a better response starting a new thread on Forum aas more people can read it.
However I would first check nothing has been disturbed on the cam belt timing side, I know that the High Pressure pump doesn't need timing it's self but that doesn't mean the rest hasn't been disturbed also being common rail injection and electronically controlled, has the crankshaft position sensor or the plate it reads from to time it properly been damaged.
Finally if all that is OK I would throw the "serviced" pump back to who ever did that job. Assuming there was no other underlying problem before the pump was disturbed.

Last edited:
Hi Bugsymike. I'm quite interested to find out where you got a printed workshop manual like the one you photographed?
The Cambelt timing manual was by a company called AutoData and before retiring I used to buy their Diesel and Petrol Technical Service Data Manuals as well as this Cambelt manual every year for roughly £100 a time. Nowadays they supply a more detailed version online by registering, last time I checked it was around £1000 per year and time expired unlike having a hard copy book. They were designed for the experienced motor engineer so didn't go into basic stuff like a Haynes manual, but they and their predecessors I have used since 1969 and found very reliable.
You may be able to find copies on eBay etc. Generally I bought new each year and disposed of the old ones, my last ones are from 2012 shortly before they went digital. They went from Alfa to Volvo so great for independent workshops and also had commercial versions.:)

The Cambelt timing manual was by a company called AutoData and before retiring I used to buy their Diesel and Petrol Technical Service Data Manuals as well as this Cambelt manual every year for roughly £100 a time. Nowadays they supply a more detailed version online by registering, last time I checked it was around £1000 per year and time expired unlike having a hard copy book. They were designed for the experienced motor engineer so didn't go into basic stuff like a Haynes manual, but they and their predecessors I have used since 1969 and found very reliable.
You may be able to find copies on eBay etc. Generally I bought new each year and disposed of the old ones, my last ones are from 2012 shortly before they went digital. They went from Alfa to Volvo so great for independent workshops and also had commercial versions.:)
Yeah, I went to their website and noticed their intensive workshop guides. Makes sense if you're a commercial outfit and require a rich diverse database. Doesn't help a DIY enthusiast like myself.

Yeah, I went to their website and noticed their intensive workshop guides. Makes sense if you're a commercial outfit and require a rich diverse database. Doesn't help a DIY enthusiast like myself.
If you need the odd detail for pre 2012 stuff covered in my manuals let me know, it's mostly torque settings, fluid capacities etc.:)

Back