General Fiat Bravo 1.4 90ps low “whimpering” engine sound

Currently reading:
General Fiat Bravo 1.4 90ps low “whimpering” engine sound

nemadam

Hello guys, I’ve recently noticed that when my Bravo is idling you can hear what seems to be a really subtle whimpering sound coming from the engine bay. At first I thought it was due to the cold weather but even after letting it heat up and/or driving for 1-2 hours straight on motorways you can still hear it when idling. If I go above 2000 rpm you can’t hear it but I guess that’s because the engine itself is louder than the subtle sound of something dying, begging for its life lol. I posted a video so that maybe you can help me identify the problem more easily. (although be advised the second half of the video is really loud) Thanks a bunch!

Sounds like a bearing, water pump, alternator, cam belt guides?
If it is an alternator bearing sometimes turning on headlights to put load on may pin point it.
Sometimes a long screwdriver used as a stethoscope, or even a length of rubber hose to the ear to locate it.
I assume it is mostly on the cam belt end of engine, but just incase it's the gearbox end does resting your foot on the clutch or totally pressing clutch pedal affect the sound?

I thought it could be the water pump as well, any ideas how to see if it actually is that?
I’ll try and pinpoint the origin of the sound, hopefully I can update this thread with my newfound discoveries.
Pressing the clutch doesn’t make any difference!
Thanks a lot!

Any loss of coolant?
I am assuming water pump driven by cam belt. Just to prove not alternator remove auxiliary belt, if still noisy take cam belt cover off, look for water stain underneath water pump (drain/breather hole) If careful may see water leaking out or stains where it is flicking the water as may not leak when stationary.
With engine off you may feel movement at pulley or if careful with engine running use my previous suggestions to locate noise.
Sounds like new cambelt kit with waterpump and new antifreeze.:)

Back