Technical Fiat 500 2012 - Software update or part replace?

Currently reading:
Technical Fiat 500 2012 - Software update or part replace?

Laurers

Hi there,

I am having issues with Blue&me/flashing mileage - It seems to be a common problem from reading other threads but I am unsure of what to do next.

I took this to a mechanic, he ran a diagnostic check and it brought up a 'U' reading (dont have the exact diagnosis)

His advice now is to take it to a main dealer for a software update as he says he does not have the correct software for it - is this update the 'proxy alignment' I keep reading about or something different?

Is this the correct next move? (I have disconnected the battery and nothing)

Feeling like everywhere I bring it they are not sure what to do next tbh - he said do the update and if that doesnt fix it he will replace the CAN unit.

My main question is, will the software update possible work or is a waste of time - and is it something a main dealer needs to do?

Any other advice on this greatly appreciated!

Forgot to mention ... a main dealer will charge you over £100 in my experience for something that can take 5 minutes...I made that mistake!!! Maybe someone on here can help out.. where are you based?

Hello and welcome to the forum.

I don't think a software update will help you.

Older Blue&Me firmware can't run the latest software and if you try to force an incompatible update, you can permanently destroy the Blue&Me module.

A stray electrical signal may have upset something, so start by doing a proxy alignment. You can do this using MES; the licence costs less that a dealer would charge you to do it just once, and it can run on just about any windows laptop. If that doesn't work, or MES can't find the Blue&Me module, the module itself may have failed - this is quite common. Generally the options are to either buy a similar secondhand Blue&Me module (check the part numbers match), or permanently disconnect it. Either way, you'll need to do another proxy alignment to correct the flashing mileage issue. Secondhand Blue&me modules from written off cars are generally easy to find (and inexpensive) as they're located in a part of the car that isn't usually impacted in an accident.

New Blue&Me units are stupidly expensive; if you take this to a franchised dealer, don't expect any change out of €1000.

Another option is to replace the head unit with something more modern with better functionality; perhaps the best solution if other routes start looking expensive.

If the Blue&Me module has failed, you need to disconnect it or it will likely drain your battery.

Last edited:
You've definately come to the right place. I've changed several of them.
A proxy alignment may work, if your disconnecting the battery for ten minutes try didn't. It often does.

If the proxy alignment doesn't work, then as jrkithching says you will need to get a replacement. You can pick them up for around £60-£80. I managed to get one recently for £40. There were, I believe only two types so make sure you get one from a car the same age as yours. I think they changed mid 2010.

I can link you to my video on how to get at them. First thing to do is buy a licenced copy of MES and a good quality set of cables as long as you have a windows laptop.

If you decide to go down the new head unit with a screen route, then it's wise to disconnect the blue and me plug on the unit. Unfortunately rear seats have to come out and back passenger side rear panel.

Hi All,

Firstly thanks so much for the replies and all the info - I'll give a bit more info on the car and what may have happened which may or may not have had anything to do with it.

The car is the 2012 1.2l lounge model and Im based in Dublin Ire so probably not near anyone unfort!

There was a wire break in the boot which ended up being an earth wire for the license plate lights - found this out when changing the bulbs in time for the NCT (Irish MOT). All was fine, car passed test but came out of the centre with the flashing odometer, only noticed as I was driving home.

Not sure if anything happened at the NCT centre to cause this or if it was related to the wire in the boot or if it was just a coincidence!

I am hoping to sell this car soon for a newer model so I just want to get it right for the next owner before selling but also as cost effective as possible so probably finding a mechanic with this software for the proxy alignment and if that doesnt work fitting a second hand module?

The short version is, I would just like to get it ready for sale so hoping to not have to upgrade anything too expensive

Thanks again to everyone! I'm learning as I go ;)

Back