General Fiat 500 1.3 multijet mpg

Currently reading:
General Fiat 500 1.3 multijet mpg

Bobusm

Hi there, new on this forum. Want to ask about consumption of 1.3 fiat 500 diesel. I believe it is 75hp version, but not sure. We had car for about 4 months and done about 3000 miles averaging around 49mpg which is great, this was mixed town/A road/motorway. I am happy with this but i think thee is some problem with car when on motorway. I cannot get any good figures when on motorway and car kinda feels like being slowed down somehow. I done 200 miles on motorway and could not get over 60 mpg driving really carefully - not over 75mph with some 50 mph road works and no traffic jams. Even doing 50 mph constant for 15-20 miles the best is in high 60mpg. I have achieved this figures in much bigger cars (407/passat) and with 2 litre diesels.
I originally thought that it is something to do with brakes, thought they keep seizin/sticking etc. Took the car to setvice, brakes were checked, could not find anything. At lower speeds it seems that everything is ok as town driving with 50mpg is amazing but as soon as it goes over 40mph it all goes bad. I also think that car is rather slow down hill with no gear in etc. - feels like car is breaking but that could be me imqgining stuff now.

Any idea what it could be or is it normal behaviour?

Thanks

The gearing on these cars is very much aimed at getting the best out of it at about 60mph, when I had my multijet 1.3 punto anything above 60mph and you would start to see quite a drop in fuel economy.

That said mine was the heavier punto and had less power than yours and I would average the quoted 62mpg all day long.

You don't say how old yours is, but does it have a DPFilter. When was it last serviced? How many miles does it have ok it, these little cars do like to clog their own egr valves and block up the intake pipes.
Also is the turbo working properly on yours as even mixed driving I'd expect to see better than 49mpg

I also think that car is rather slow down hill with no gear in etc. - feels like car is breaking but that could be me imqgining stuff now.

The 500 is lighter and less aerodynamic than a Passat so it doesn't coast as well as many bigger cars. My van probably coasts better than my 500.

Back