General Fiat 126P in the USA

Currently reading:
General Fiat 126P in the USA

hiob

When I Was 16 I bought my first car - a Mercedes 170V, but this car was always broken - I don't think I was able to drive more then 5000 km in two years I own it. So when My dad bought his first car, a Polski Fiat 126P, I quickly sold my Mercedes (stupidest idea of my whole life) and I "borrow" my dad's car. He didn't get it back for six years. :D

Actually he got it once, when he trade it for a new one, 650 cc. But I've got this one too. It was easy - my dad just didn't like to drive. Only after I left Poland, when I was 24, he learn how to drive.

Now we can fast forward 30 years. My everyday drive is a 600 HP supercharged BMW M3 e90, but I recently found out, that 25-year old cars are exempt from all the DOT, NHTSA and EPA regulations and could be imported to the USA and registered here. So... since I cannot afford to buy a Mercedes 170V, my obvious choice was Fiat 126. And I just bought one.

It is a 1988 model, with 45 000 km. Excellent shape, no rust. I actually never saw that car, but my brother in law saw it, checked it and bought it for me. I have to wait until June to ship it to the USA, because it is not 25 years old yet.

Now I'm replacing tires, battery, brake fluid, shoes and drums, spark plugs and wires, lamps etc. because everything for this car is dirt cheap in Poland. In the USA it's impossible to buy tires size 135/80 R12 at any price - smallest ones are 145 wide.

I just got quote about the cost of the shipping. I even considered airfreight, but it would cost me 5 000 €. Regular, vessel ocean transport cost only $1500, if I deliver this car to Bremerhaven and pick it up in Charleston, SC. Transport from Poland to Bremerhaven is only about €150.

I think it will be fun to drive 23-hp car, after driving 600 hp monster. And certainly 126 in the USA will be bigger head turner then M3 - I see M3s every day, and I know only about 3 Fiats 126 in the USA - and they are at least 1000 km from my home town - one in NJ - this one is is on this forum, one in Chicago and one in California. It could be more, but I'm not aware of them.

I have some pictures, but this is my first entry and I cannot post URLs just yet.

There are few pictures of my car:

And a video showing how great fun could be that little car:

hibob couple questions. Getting used to driving my "new" car and just want to know, should these cars have play in the steering or is it a sign I need a new steering joint kit? Do brakes require a bit of effort and are spongy like there are air bubbles in the lines?
Thanks

My nick is "hiob"

couple questions. Getting used to driving my "new" car and just want to know, should these cars have play in the steering or is it a sign I need a new steering joint kit?

There is no power steering, nothing stays between the steering mechanism and the driver, so you will notice some free play in that steering wheel. However it should be no more that "one hand" - at least that what I have in my car, measuring when car is not moving. This car also requires greasing in front suspension, every 5000 km, or 3000 miles.
Do brakes require a bit of effort and are spongy like there are air bubbles in the lines?
Thanks

No power brakes either, it requires quite heavy push to stop it, but it should not "give up", or sink under pressure. Pedal feel is little spongy, however if you press hard enough you should be able to lock the wheels.

If you know Polish language go to http://www.rezerwa126p.pl/ They have great forums and lots of free and very useful informations about this car.

Back