Fellow Fiat people......

Currently reading:
Fellow Fiat people......

.....i may own an Uno.....it is old......and Turbo'd :)thumb: i may add, lol).......but still........i may get to the promise land.......of the right laptop to help me map it!

I am absolutly lost with laptops figures and facts! :bang:

Here is my basic requirements:

Uni work (MS office and alike)
SolidWorks (Student edition)
MBE engine managment software
Itunes

Budget : £550-600

XP preferiable compared to Vista, but then that is what ive been TOLD about Vista, is this true?

Many thanks!
Biz :)

vista is RAM hungry and intensive without a v.gd laptop so your thoughts on xp are probably better if u find a vista 1 see if it "can be downgraded" for u, i suggest as your running sold works that you find a lappy with a decent graphics card in that will be up to the task but i think many of the sugs. i have in mind will easily go past the budget my 1st thought was something like a dell precision but they eaither are already over the budget or are reasily specced over. avoid vista though i wud say a) based on budget b) as your running CAD possibly look at trying to get something qwith a Nvidia Quadro but i doubt it at that budget :( im afraid

www.ebuyer.com/product/152233

the above laptop should fulfil your needs easily.

Vista has had its issues and it has improved usually you can downgrade to xp via a typical manufacturer CD that you can either buy off somewhere like ebay or download via a torrent site if the machine doesn’t come with one, then you will need the drivers you also may need to add SATA drivers to your load of windows or an external floppy drive.
if the above is daunting a local engineer should be able to do that for a few quid.

Last edited:
unless you use xp x64 ;)

also, i dont think there is any interest in the x64 version of either XP or Vista from Biz from the question he asked.

Last edited:
i have found vista is preferred by novice users it has an interface that is easier to use for a number of things and looks pretty, XP runs faster and has better stability.
I'm not saying either is better, I prefer XP myself for the simple fact of stability and speed, I have a fairly high end PC but my choice boils down to the stability and speed as I leave my PC on 24hrs a day.

XP has had a fair few issues over the years and is not perfect by any means, Vista has proved quite unpopular amongst most from the file transfer issues to UAC and is set to be replaced 2010.

Back