General Exchange gearbox required

Currently reading:
General Exchange gearbox required

talkshowhost

Hi,

My 57 plate Bravo Multijet 1.9 with less than 40,000 miles broke down last week, and upon recovery through my insurance to a local garage, examination discovered that the gearbox is knackered, and to quote one mechanic "it exploded".

However, having spoken to Arnold Clark regarding my extended warranty which is valid until November 2012, they say it will be covered, but that any single warranty repair has an upper limit of £2000.

The local garage, who Arnold Clark confirm they have an account with to do repairs on their behalf, told me that to order a brand new gearbox from Fiat, it could be in the region of £3000, however an exchange gearbox could be in the region of £2000 - £2300. Yet a friend who drives a Punto has told me he got a gearbox replaced for £1500.

Should I be highly sceptical of this?

Should I not be expecting a brand new gearbox as part of my warranty through the sale of goods act etc?

Doing some research online and on this very forum, it suggests it may have been another one to add to the list of Fiat gearbox failures?

Cheers

I don't know the ins-and-outs of the differences in replacing the boxes in these two cars, the Punto may be much easier, so incurs less labour costs. My best advice is e-mail your local trading standards and see their take on things.

Highly 3k for a fiat box is taking the ****.

I'd tell them too fix it and stop talking crap.

If it costs 3k for a new box get them to rebuild your box and refit :D

Those warranties aren't worth the paper they are printed on tbh. Everyone I know with one seems to have problems getting anything fixed :(

On ebay they are going to £200 click here

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Thanks for the reply. I stopped by at the garage today after finishing work and they estimated labour as being 4 or 5 hours.

so say 50ph labour + 500 for box = about 750 > 1000, nowhere near 3000, the warranty should easy cover the cost

Thanks. I see that model comes a 6 speed gearbox though, mine has only 5 gears.

3k :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

You could run a os gilken box or a whole getrag Gbox shame they don't fit bravos.

If they want to play games go to the dealer around 1-2 pm and park over the entrance or exit. Fiat really do have the worst customer service and the most incompetent mechanics going. Mercedes make bad cars but at least they are helpful/friendly and fix the car.

get the part number of the gearbox and try to source it yourself

alternatively there are some on ebay

swapping a gearbox is pretty straightforward and is less than a days work even for an amateur

you should also escalate this to Fiat Customer Services

The gearbox I am getting fitted is a refurbished unit from Fiat rather than a second hand unit straight out of another car, hence the cost.

the most incompetent mechanics going

Trained to same standard as everyone else, all ATA etc so I fail to see your point as valid. Let us also remember alot of Fiat techs in a dealerships come from other franchises and many fiat techs go elsewhere.

Not the techs fault that a customer is charged £3k, techs dont know what goes on at the front desk or what is said to customers. Again (as I have been saying for 8 years here) always speak to the tech working on the car1

Trained to same standard as everyone else, all ATA etc so I fail to see your point as valid. Let us also remember alot of Fiat techs in a dealerships come from other franchises and many fiat techs go elsewhere.

Not the techs fault that a customer is charged £3k, techs dont know what goes on at the front desk or what is said to customers. Again (as I have been saying for 8 years here) always speak to the tech working on the car1

I'm only taking from experience. They are just fitters. I'm sure the op's gearbox could be rebuilt rather than just replaced if they had the skills :S

The last time my car went into a fiat garage was to be serviced so I had the stamp in my book. They left the hoses loose after changing the filter then noticed a nice oil stain under the car on the drive the sump plug was only finger tight so it leaked. Before that different dealer they told me the handbrake didn't have a adjuster and broke the hand brake gator :bang::confused:. I know I've saved about £1500 doing work myself I have no training what so ever.

You are more than entitled to your opinion based on your experiences but (and I am talking from a vast background) it must be said than Fiat techs are well trained to a high standard and are not just fitters. A tech these days has to be experienced in everything unlike years ago when you had service/diagnostic/electrical techs and to achieve this they have to attend many courses and new technology/refresher courses etc in other words the training is on going.
On the subject of gearboxes, I worked years ago for a certain manufacture who never open a gearbox but an exchange unit was always fitted. Why? well there are many reasons such as time factor and high labour rates often making a repair just as costly as a refurbished unit. Refurbished units also come with warranty and less likely to further failure/problems.
Many people want a new/refurbished gearbox (especially under warranty) and dont want it just 'repaired'.
Let us also take into account the number of Fiats serviced daily, thousands of happy customers. After 8 years on this forum I have noticed a change in attitude to dealership, yes you cant please everybody thats just the way it is and always will be, and many owners taking out service plans with their purchases. Fiat have been very succesful over the last 6 years when other manufactures have struggled. This has been because of not only an improvement in the cars but the whole customer 'experience'. There are more than a few positive mentions on the forum to dealerships, techs and even customer services, they must be doing something right:)

(p.s. and no I dont work for Fiat)

The last time my car went into a fiat garage was to be serviced so I had the stamp in my book. They left the hoses loose after changing the filter then noticed a nice oil stain under the car on the drive the sump plug was only finger tight so it leaked.

Yep, one (now defunct) fiat dealership did this to me on the Bravo and also left off some heat shielding to for good measure. ever since i have used a fiat garage that only does repairs and doesnt sell cars, and is family owned. never had a problem with them and everything is done much better.

Yep, one (now defunct) fiat dealership did this to me on the Bravo and also left off some heat shielding to for good measure. ever since i have used a fiat garage that only does repairs and doesnt sell cars, and is family owned. never had a problem with them and everything is done much better.

what garage is it you use? mines due for a service and Id rather not take it to Fiat as its a cambelt/water pump jobbie, that and my nearest fiat garage other than the place i bought the car is stoneacre in liverpool (n)

Back