engine

Currently reading:
engine

jordanthomson

dont know where to post this so ill post it here.

basically my engines gone :(
its a 8v 1.2, trying to find a reasonable price for a engine its hard

cheapest ive found so far is £175 still think its abit to steap especially for a 1.2 8v.

ive tryed bidding on a car a copart to hopefully get a car which is damaged quite badly and basically strip it and put the new engine in, but even that has come to too much car bid started at 125 now the bid is sitting around £400 :(

anyway if anyone can help me find a cheaper engine anywhere that would be great thanks

Whats happened to your engine? It might be fixable...

Overheated...? Head gasket? Or oil starvation?

Head is easy fix, oil starvation less so...

had a problem with it a few months ago head gasket went and over heated didnt realise till my engine cut out as i do not have a temperature gauge.
i put a new head gasket in new water pump oil filter did oil change everything was running fine

untill a few days ago engine sounded if it was running 3 cylinders checked spark plugs 1 of the spark plugs wasnt getting fuel, went to scrappes picked up injectors and coilers changed them over, still nothing which has led me to think one of the rings has gone and tbh it would be better just getting a newer engine then replacing a ring for all i know the damage could be so much more but untill i completely stip it i wont know :(

OK I see... but you would need to hear any replacement engine running, even then a scrappies or used motor of any type is a leap of faith...

You're assuming a lot... did you have the Head skimmed when you did the gasket, & did you use new head-bolts? If no to either or both of these questions you're problem could still be HG related...

OK I see... but you would need to hear any replacement engine running, even then a scrappies or used motor of any type is a leap of faith...

You're assuming a lot... did you have the Head skimmed when you did the gasket, & did you use new head-bolts? If no to either or both of these questions you're problem could still be HG related...

thanks and i know its a leap of faith but i am 60% sure its one of the rings which has gone

i done the head gasket myself head was skimmed and used new head bolts also changed oil filter water pump & timing belt at the same time.

do you think i should just take it all to pieces again and have a look to see if its one of the rings? also what could i do if its one of the rings how easy is it to replace? never replaced one before.

Flick a coin Jordan... rings are starightforward enough to change with a piston ring compressor tool, but you have to remove the pistons & con-rods to do it. Seems logical to do anything that could need doing when you strip it down that far so you get most benefit, so on balance, despite what I said earlier... :eek: maybe a known good used motor is the cheapest option, but you will need the ECU & keys from the donor car as well & even then maybe a trip to a dealer to have a session on Examiner to get everything talking to each other as they should. A rebuild would at least avoid that kerfuffell....

Flick a coin Jordan... rings are starightforward enough to change with a piston ring compressor tool, but you have to remove the pistons & con-rods to do it. Seems logical to do anything that could need doing when you strip it down that far so you get most benefit, so on balance, despite what I said earlier... :eek: maybe a known good used motor is the cheapest option, but you will need the ECU & keys from the donor car as well & even then maybe a trip to a dealer to have a session on Examiner to get everything talking to each other as they should. A rebuild would at least avoid that kerfuffell....

a rebuild is looking rather expensive, im gonna try that forte stuff first run it threw my car 2 times with 2 oil changes

if nothing then new engine, new engine i can get for 175 from a place up north not sure if i want to pay that haha but ah well its working out cheaper and easyer than a rebuild at the moment :(

also i dont have the keys to my ecu which could prove a problem :( dealership it is :(

ps
im trying to fix this car for as cheap as possible im very skint at the moment haha

Back