Engine stalling, very hard.

Currently reading:
Engine stalling, very hard.

Scott the Impaler

First, i'm driving a 1.9 diesel.

So i'm starting to get some problems with my car. Basically, when i'm reversing the car tries to stall and when i'm setting off in first gear it sometimes stalls unless i give it huge revs(which is somewhat dangerous and uncontrollable), but the thing is, is when it does stall it stalls really really hard. The noise is huge and certainly louder than a normal stall.

I remember it did this about a year ago, a month or so after i bought it and if i remember correctly, my dad filled/topped 'something' up in my engine, something that i believe had something to do with the gears or gear box and after he had done that, it was fine again.

The problem is that it's begun to happen again, and i have absolutely no idea what he did/topped up in my engine and he unfortunately passed away last year so i can't ask him. I should have paid more attention at the time.

Anyway, does anyone know what the problem could possibly be and how to possibly fix it? I don't want to have to take it to a garage, due to finances and needing it for work, but i will if i have to.

Any and all help is much appreciated as i'm a complete novice when it comes to engines. Thank you in advance.

Back