Technical Electrical problems strange happens

Currently reading:
Technical Electrical problems strange happens

Bernieszy

I have a tipo that is draining the battery overnite. I have replaced the battery but sill the problem continues. Two days ago I was looking for problems and on replacing the earth terminal on the battery heard a clicking on checking found the drivers door locking button was making the noise by going up and down. (The car is not central locking) I removed the fuse to the courtest lights which stopped that problem. My battery is still draining over nite. When I check the battery using my volt meter (neg/ earth lead removed from the battery the other end of the volt meter to the neg post on the battery I have a 12v drain when I remove the fuse that powers the horn, cig lighter and the brake lamps the voltmeter drops back to .6 drain. this fuse also powers the radio I have the same effect when I remove the radio fuse.
Last night over two hours I checked the voltage of the battery the readings were 12.69, 12.67, 12.66, (at this reading I removed the cig fuse) 12.66, this morning before I started it it read 12.58. The alternator is putting out 14.+ volts.
Anyone have any ideas what to do next.

This happened to my DGT once - it was the switch for the boot's interior light was knackered, and was draining the battery overnight cos the light was on permanently - took me a good couple of weeks to get to the bottom of it and I only noticed it when I put the rear seats down to transport something and drove in the dark - just a suggestion.

By the way, my car then had it's central locking disconnected due to a faulty relay before I bought it - I didn't realise until I had the car a few months - I never knew and assumed from the outset it hadn't had it fitted.

Last edited:
Had a similar issue a couple of weeks ago. REPLACED battery problems solved.

over the above two solutions in my case your both right..

Tipo 88 1.4 DGT.

A faulty boot switch left the boot light on all the time,and I only noticed when i went out in the middle of the night too

This kept flattening the battery, after umpteen rovernight recharges the battery insisted on retirement, however before dying dead shorted on the motorway and thereby took the alternator to the afterlife with it..

One scrapper boot switch, one alternator and one battery later all is well..
except my wallet....

Back