Technical Electric Window Motor Replacement/Removal Guide

Currently reading:
Technical Electric Window Motor Replacement/Removal Guide

maniacbravo

So guys after having a problem with my passenger side window, lowers fine but takes about 20 seconds to fully go back up and it was annoying, I read the guide here http://www.bravo-guide.co.uk/fix-a-bravo.htm but it was way too simplified that I had to experiment all over again how to take it all apart and put it back together without breaking anything.

Lets start,

1. Remove the door panel, guide is on the link mentioned above which is what I used and is enough for anyone to follow
2. Lower the window enough that you can see 1/4 of it from the top (3/4 down).
3. Put your hand in the door and find approx the bottom middle of the window, you should feel a button type thingy on the back of the window (outside of the car assuming your in the car), there is a clip holding it in place, mine was yellow, dont know if there are any other colours, anyway pull this down and the clip should come off, usually two fingers (one on each side) are enough.
4. Push the window away from you while pulling the middle rail towards you, gently, until the glass unclips from the rail and can be moved freely, push the glass all the way up and remove it from the way.
5. Unclip the motor power connector, should be fairly easy.
6. Undo the 5 retaining nuts, 3 of the motor and another two that hold the rail in place.
7. the motor assembly should be free now, it just takes some serious amount of wiggling to take it out of the door panel, the larger hole near the front side of the door is recommended, cant really give more detail about this, moving it around until it is out is the only trick.
8. Now that the motor is out, I greased mine pretty well, the slide and metal cables, and removed the motor from the main assembly to grease that as well, it is held in place with three Philips head screws. Test everything works using the power connector you removed earlier.
9. Put it back together or prepare the new one to be fitted back inside the door panel.
10. While the motor is out I recommend greasing the side window rails from the inside, some heavy duty grease and your fingers should do the trick.
11. Now comes the hard part.....Put the motor assembly back in from the large hole in the front part of the door panel, make sure the motor and rail are oriented well as there is not much room for movement once inside the panel.
12. Now try to get the top most part of the rail to the upper outside corner of the door panel, somewhere above the door locking mechanism, you can see the door is thicker at the top, the part where the nut tightens should go inside this thick "channel" and slide to the front until it is in place, I tried all other methods and only this worked, I'll explain further if this is unclear :)
13. Once the top most part of the rail is in place, all other nuts should be fairly easy to install if you did everything correctly.
14. Now to install the window back in place, just lower it with your hands and do step 4 but in reverse, push the window gently to the outside while lowering it, once the window overlaps the button thingy, move it up or down until it pops in place, you can install the half moon clip back in place at this stage, try not to drop it as its a nightmare to pick up from the bottom of the panel especially if you have large hands.
15. Put the motor power back in.
16. You can re install the door panel back in using the tutorial in the link mentioned above in reverse, should be easy once you get the hang of it.

hope it helps :)
maniacbravo

Back