Ducato Egr / throttle body fault

Currently reading:
Ducato Egr / throttle body fault

DUNMOWDUCATO

Hi , first big admission to make iv come to fiat from VW commercials , there you go i said it . previously ran vw t4 , LT 46 .LT 35 . and faulty euro 5 crafter terrable . i have a citroen relay as a firms van and you can give it hard time and it jujst comes back for more . but it has the 2.2 transit engine and there not noted for lasting well . driven loads of iveco daileys same 2.3 engine as the ducato . so decided to buy myself the ducato . its a 2013 reg . but built late 2012 . was running ok and joy easaly making 40 mpg . then issues . engine shut down idle only lots of white smoke . took turbo off waste gate and induction wheel had serious wear so had it rebulit . refitted test drove broke down agin same thing lots of white smoke . changed egr theres a very nice man on ebay will sell you a iveco one which works but only has 2 fixing holes insted of fiat 3 . test drove engine still shuts down . just fitted new throttle body from Italy on ebay . test drove its the fastest its ever gone but stil broke down after 4 miles . put scaner on it comes up with fuel pressure regulator P0089 . So now looking for one of those . four weeks parked outside work so far with out any use . And now one told me about fix it again tony . fiat . as Dudley moore mite have said . im not complaning . but im going to be proper good at these soon .

Hi , first big admission to make iv come to fiat from VW commercials , there you go i said it . previously ran vw t4 , LT 46 .LT 35 . and faulty euro 5 crafter terrable . i have a citroen relay as a firms van and you can give it hard time and it jujst comes back for more . but it has the 2.2 transit engine and there not noted for lasting well . driven loads of iveco daileys same 2.3 engine as the ducato . so decided to buy myself the ducato . its a 2013 reg . but built late 2012 . was running ok and joy easaly making 40 mpg . then issues . engine shut down idle only lots of white smoke . took turbo off waste gate and induction wheel had serious wear so had it rebulit . refitted test drove broke down agin same thing lots of white smoke . changed egr theres a very nice man on ebay will sell you a iveco one which works but only has 2 fixing holes insted of fiat 3 . test drove engine still shuts down . just fitted new throttle body from Italy on ebay . test drove its the fastest its ever gone but stil broke down after 4 miles . put scaner on it comes up with fuel pressure regulator P0089 . So now looking for one of those . four weeks parked outside work so far with out any use . And now one told me about fix it again tony . fiat . as Dudley moore mite have said . im not complaning . but im going to be proper good at these soon .

First make sure it doesn't have some crappy tuning box plugged into the rail pressure sensor.

Secondly p0089 may be regulator but can be caused by lift pump, fuel filter, tank strainer, regulator, o-ring on regulator, high pressure pump, rail sensor, injectors so throwing parts at it can get very expensive.

If by induction wheel you mean compressor wheel, that kind of wear would imply to me that its got mega miles on it or it was run with a terrible filter or without a filter.

If it was my van and I wanted it to last I would look in the fuel tank to make sure its clean, check the strainer on the lift pump, change the fuel filter, remove the regulator from the hp pump and check the tip for debris, check the tip o-ring for compression / damage (clean all around the pump before removing the regulator so you don't get any crap in there). Next if there was still issues I would do a leakoff test on the injectors, use multiecuscan to check the injector correction, plot requested vs actual pressure to see if the actual pressure is deviating high or low from requested.

Last edited:
Reactions: CDK
You are right about just throwing parts at it there is a limit . but at the moment im happy that everything iv changed has had some kind of fault with it evan though van is not yet 100% . the very corners of the turbo blades were missing eroded away . and the bush holding the waste gate had huge free movment in it . the van does not have big miles on it only 110 000 . but it averaged quite high miles quickly 33000 a year in first three years buy first owners . i was given a bunch of recipts buy dealer i got van from . but actual servicing looks like it was charged for and note done . as i allway go right through a van when i buy it . took air filter out was clogged with bus soot . so my van spent lot of time in city traffic . van has had parts changed you would not expect to fail at 110 000 . egr had allready been changed in 2015 . and its on its secound gearbox .

Sounds suss to me like its been annually clocked before the MOT unless the upholstery, floor, steering wheel, controls, dash etc also look like 110k.

Front seats all really good so is dash . van was converted by Cotrim from new to six seater crew van with matching black /red Fiat seat trim and Fiat OEM plastic rear bulk head . which is reson i brought it type approval for insurance company who are hard work at best of times . UK insurance just cant seam to get there heads around idea of day vans . a van you use for everything work rest and play . a lot claim they do but when asked still come back with stupid quotes .

Back