Technical egr solenoid or turbo turbocharger boost pressure control solenoid?

Currently reading:
Technical egr solenoid or turbo turbocharger boost pressure control solenoid?

storminheaven

hi , ive got hesitation at low speeds( thats got worse over the last month) , smelly exhaust fumes and black puffs of smoke when revving , i thought maybe the mass airflow sensor was the fault but ive just replaced and no change .. something i forgot to mention in a previous post was there is also a electrical hum that comes and goes , ive now narrowed the problem down to egr solenoid or turbo turbocharger boost pressure control solenoid... its says both have very similar symptoms and both have a buzz ... how could i tell which one needs replacing please? both parts are not expensive and easy to fit but i would obvioulsy prefer to get the right part rather than keep replacing parts till i sort the problem .. the buzz doesnt remain when i cut the engine and its not constant. it comes and goes .. so does that sound like the egr solenoid or turbo boost solenoid? i also just removed the egr valve and cleaned .. so surely it has to be either of these solenoids? any feedbcak would be great .. thanks ...

hi , ive got hesitation at low speeds( thats got worse over the last month) , smelly exhaust fumes and black puffs of smoke when revving , i thought maybe the mass airflow sensor was the fault but ive just replaced and no change .. something i forgot to mention in a previous post was there is also a electrical hum that comes and goes , ive now narrowed the problem down to egr solenoid or turbo turbocharger boost pressure control solenoid... its says both have very similar symptoms and both have a buzz ... how could i tell which one needs replacing please? both parts are not expensive and easy to fit but i would obvioulsy prefer to get the right part rather than keep replacing parts till i sort the problem .. the buzz doesnt remain when i cut the engine and its not constant. it comes and goes .. so does that sound like the egr solenoid or turbo boost solenoid? i also just removed the egr valve and cleaned .. so surely it has to be either of these solenoids? any feedbcak would be great .. thanks ...
Obviously it will throw up an error code and affect performance, but you could try, with ignition off unplugging one suspect solenoid and road test, then repeat with the other. Do removing and refitting wiring plugs with engine off to avoid confusing the ECU. You may still need to delete an error code after refitting plugs.

Obviously it will throw up an error code and affect performance, but you could try, with ignition off unplugging one suspect solenoid and road test, then repeat with the other. Do removing and refitting wiring plugs with engine off to avoid confusing the ECU. You may still need to delete an error code after refitting plugs.
thanks for responding .. i actually just disconnected each solenoid separately and revved it on the drive .. i can still hear the buzzing .. it doesn't particularly sound like the buzz is coming from the area of where they are both housed right next to each other either.. could it be a small vaccum leak ? .. its hard to judge when im revving it inside the cab .. its also got idle peaks now , randomly going up shortly then coming down that it wasnt doing before .. the garage charge £40 to put the diagnostic on it , do you think that will pinpoint the problem or just narrow it down? .. really need this sorted by next week for new job doing courier work .. its 2004 and only paid £850 so dont wanna put too much money into it but its shame as it runs well part from this issue . 80k miles .. very tidy etc .. thanks

£40 is cheap for down here, for diagnostics though not if they don't find anything, so it may pay you to get MES on your lap top or something, they all seem to use it on here except me as I don't like Windows operating systems.
Plus my friend lets me use his Snap On tool.:)
I agree with not spending too much on vehicles, I buy mine cheap, go through them, then just regular oil changes etc.
If you can get someone to duplicate the noise , whilst you are under the bonnet, sometimes a length of rubber hose held to your ear and directed around the engine can work well to locate sounds.
Another trick if you think it is an air leak is to spray a little brake cleaner and engine revs will change as it sucks it in, try not to set fire to it though.;)

£40 is cheap for down here, for diagnostics though not if they don't find anything, so it may pay you to get MES on your lap top or something, they all seem to use it on here except me as I don't like Windows operating systems.
Plus my friend lets me use his Snap On tool.:)
I agree with not spending too much on vehicles, I buy mine cheap, go through them, then just regular oil changes etc.
If you can get someone to duplicate the noise , whilst you are under the bonnet, sometimes a length of rubber hose held to your ear and directed around the engine can work well to locate sounds.
Another trick if you think it is an air leak is to spray a little brake cleaner and engine revs will change as it sucks it in, try not to set fire to it though.;)it,

It was either £39 or £49 at Mr clutch reading...they would have up to date high Wong equipment I suppose and 50 quid ain't too bad even if it reveals nothing... Ile look into that mate for future, I've actually just ordered the turbo solenoid for £17 Amazon and egr solenoid is £40 ... Ile replace the cheap one first.. Then the other if still remains... Been offered £700 with the fault listed on Gumtree... Only paid £850 so either way I wont lose out greatly and if I sort it it's a good van...thanks

Last edited:
It was either £39 or £49 at Mr clutch reading...they would have up to date high spec equipment I suppose and 50 quid ain't too bad even if it reveals nothing... Ile look into that mate, you
No matter how much they charge , it is only as good as the guy doing the job.
The advantage of the MES program and leads required, is many here use it so would understand the results you got.:)

No matter how much they charge , it is only as good as the guy doing the job.
The advantage of the MES program and leads required, is many here use it so would understand the results you got.:)
Ok had a quick look but info quite vague, mes is, basically diagnostic software for laptop/ smart phone? And I would need to get a connector lead? Any idea where I would plug in on my ducato? 2004 . 2.0jtd ... 👍

Ok had a quick look but info quite vague, mes is, basically diagnostic software for laptop/ smart phone? And I would need to get a connector lead? Any idea where I would plug in on my ducato? 2004 . 2.0jtd ... 👍
You may have a problem there, even if you have the correct leads to plug into the OBD port which is usually just at the edge of the drivers side of dashboard/fusebox area.
I have a 2010 Fiat Scudo with what is probably the 16 valve later Peugeot 2 litre engine that is in your vehicle I noted that MES as advertised on Gendan website doesn't list that engine, as is Peugeot ECU type setup just to be awkward and not Fiat!
So check with Gendan website as they are the best suppliers for MES and leads , to see if it will actually work with your model.

Hi I got a cheap diagnostic scanner off Amazon and it had nothing come up ... I'm just about to cut my losses and sell but is it worth me getting the garage to put their diagnostic on it or will that likely not show anything either.... This thing on got was £30 I'm guessing theirs cost a few grand prob more... Am I wasting £40 ?

Hi I got a cheap diagnostic scanner off Amazon and it had nothing come up ... I'm just about to cut my losses and sell but is it worth me getting the garage to put their diagnostic on it or will that likely not show anything either.... This thing on got was £30 I'm guessing theirs cost a few grand prob more... Am I wasting £40 ?
If the garage has got good gear and "some idea" it should be worth it.;)
I always charged my customers on results only, so I kept my customers for many years, although didn't make much money.:(

Ok thanks mate, it's booked in for tomorrow.. I might of wiped the code myself, I tried that diy reset trick couple of weeks ago , I saw a YouTube matey suggest draining stored charges in the module.. And I haven't seen the engine light come up since...like someone said in a previous post ,good diagnostic might still be able to read the code if it had one.... Think I might lease a van to be honest. Had 3 old vans in the last 2 years and had problems with all of them.. Not sure if I'm cursed or just had bad luck and not been careful enough buying

Back