General ECO & NORMAL mode

Currently reading:
General ECO & NORMAL mode

plasma99

I adore my 500 TA but I have always found the engine a bit 'on the edge' for normal driving. I am a recent convert to ECO mode which is something that I had stayed well clear of before. My conversion is not for reasons of economy - I just find the drive much more refined, quieter and smoother in ECO mode. I now use it all of the time unless overtaking or trying to put some space between myself and a tailgater. It got me wondering if FIAT have got this right. Should ECO mode be renamed NORMAL and NORMAL mode renamed SPORT? I think there is ample power in ECO mode for the standard driver and it behaves like any small car. The abundant torque/power available in NORMAL mode just isn't needed in the city or during normal commuting. I'm glad it's there if I need it though.

I think ECO and NORMAL sounds better "in the showroom" than NORMAL and SPORT .. You want your "normal" car to go like stink and your ECO to drive smooth not gutless... but ECO and SPORT might work as a combo.

At least the two modes work for you, so they must have put some thought into it. :D

I'm always in "ECO" in any car that has the option, since these days I get a fright when I look at the fuel consumption. Ahhhh Ahhhh

Ralf S.

Last edited:
I don't think the TA was ever that great on fuel consumption (NORMAL or ECO). How an earth it is zero VED I do not know.

I drive my TA such low mileages these days that fuel consumption really doesn't matter. If I'm just cruising ECO mode is fine for much the same reasons you state but I do get a kick (literally) out hitting the button and flooring it occasionally.:)

I mainly like it for the increased steering assistance at low speeds and parking.

Back