Technical dpf

Currently reading:
Technical dpf

Made National news after it was announced in the Chancellors Budget..........was on tele, radio, and in the papers........though not perhaps on the most important page, page 3......lol

Made National news after it was announced in the Chancellors Budget..........was on tele, radio, and in the papers........though not perhaps on the most important page, page 3......lol

...but just because there is no disc doesn't mean you don't have to pay..(from Oct 2014)

It's time 'they' put VED onto fuel so you pay for what you use like with domestic services. It's also time 'they' spent more of that which they screw out of the over-taxed motorist back into the infrastructure.

I can't do a link for the BBC site but if you do Google and type "Car tax disc to be axed after 93 years" as a specific you'll find it.

There'll be an option for paying monthly and even then the rob dogs are likely to take another 5% for the privilege. When will they ever stop ripping us off???
Why do we put up with this? No good saying vote at the next election, they're all as bad as each other and the system takes so long for anything to happen and it never happens the way you want it and the millionaires at the top will always do what they want [/rant]

Oh boy. NYR, be calm and pay what I'm asked for without complaint ;)

R-V-M
Apologies for the thread hi-jack :cool:

At the end of the day we are the mugs!
If every one did not buy fuel just for one day in protest it would cause may hem as the loss of revenue would hit hard
at the end of the day we are the mugs that pay these rip off merchants, at the next elections my next pallot ticket is going in the bin.
RANT OVER
Happy new year?
MMMMM
LUIGI

It's time 'they' put VED onto fuel so you pay for what you use like with domestic services.

If that happened we will all be paying a lot more cash out because all the extra transport costs will be passed on to the consumer! Delivery costs will be scary!

:yeahthat: fuel is taxed heavily enough as it is. :mad:

Stick a bit more on petrol to make it the same price a diesel as we had to pay more for our fuel for a long time now(y)
LUIGI

More like remove the extra they added to diesel! 4* used to be a lot more than diesel until the Govt. told us all to buy diesel, (you'll notice a diesel engine costs £1000 more than petrol - who is having a laugh here?) the engines got better in performance etc. but now the dreaded soot is deemed excessive so diesel is the bad boy. Your diesel car/van just lost a lot more in part-ex value! Bingo, the motorist is hit yet again.

My van has just thrown an error saying Start/Stop not available. That bothers me not as I dislike it very much but I took it next door to the local garage who offer DPF/CAT removals and re-mapping very prominently on their hoarding. The guy connected up the device, it said there was a pressure differential between the engine side and the far side of the DPF, so it's not regenerated itself. He cleared the codes, I drove home. Next morning, code back again. I went in to see him again after a long drive - he cleared it and said I should go for a blast whilst the engine was hot and the code was cleared. I did and there is a still the error (so the engine mgt and warning triangle are both on all the time). When I was there at the garage, he was just in the process of removing a DPF from a new Audi. They just open up the can and take it out then weld the can back together. At an MOT there is a purely a visual inspection - you can't see what is or isn't inside the can) plus a smoke test, no measuring like with a petrol car. So when my van goes in for its 40k service I will have the nuisance DPF removed. Seems to be a total pain in the exhaust. What's the point in having a filter to store up the soot if it then needs to purge itself all over the road and if it doesn't, causes problems with the engine? Plus it is a cost item (garage guy says it's in the same can as the catalyser) and you have to do this driving like a nutter every now and then to clear it but you don't notice when it's doing it - so how would you know?

More EU B.S.

R-V-M

More like remove the extra they added to diesel! 4* used to be a lot more than diesel until the Govt. told us all to buy diesel, (you'll notice a diesel engine costs £1000 more than petrol - who is having a laugh here?) the engines got better in performance etc. but now the dreaded soot is deemed excessive so diesel is the bad boy. Your diesel car/van just lost a lot more in part-ex value! Bingo, the motorist is hit yet again.

My van has just thrown an error saying Start/Stop not available. That bothers me not as I dislike it very much but I took it next door to the local garage who offer DPF/CAT removals and re-mapping very prominently on their hoarding. The guy connected up the device, it said there was a pressure differential between the engine side and the far side of the DPF, so it's not regenerated itself. He cleared the codes, I drove home. Next morning, code back again. I went in to see him again after a long drive - he cleared it and said I should go for a blast whilst the engine was hot and the code was cleared. I did and there is a still the error (so the engine mgt and warning triangle are both on all the time). When I was there at the garage, he was just in the process of removing a DPF from a new Audi. They just open up the can and take it out then weld the can back together. At an MOT there is a purely a visual inspection - you can't see what is or isn't inside the can) plus a smoke test, no measuring like with a petrol car. So when my van goes in for its 40k service I will have the nuisance DPF removed. Seems to be a total pain in the exhaust. What's the point in having a filter to store up the soot if it then needs to purge itself all over the road and if it doesn't, causes problems with the engine? Plus it is a cost item (garage guy says it's in the same can as the catalyser) and you have to do this driving like a nutter every now and then to clear it but you don't notice when it's doing it - so how would you know?

More EU B.S.

R-V-M

You don't have to drive it like a nutter, your garage guy is clearly trying to sell you his DPF removing services.

This in itself causes an issue. It's illegal, if caught the driver a liable for some hefty fines.

In addition to this there is the insurance implications of declairing the ECU remap required when the DPF is removed. Most insurers put at least a 10%+ loading for ECU remaps, and that's assuming it isn't a declineable risk with your insurer, so make sure you check this out before doing something which is illegal and could cost you a lot more in the long run than you expect.

And just to clarify a DPF on regen burns off the deposits, it doesn't just purge and dump them all over the road.

Back