Technical Door hinge check spring

Currently reading:
Technical Door hinge check spring

My wife's Uno Mk1 has a problem with the driver's door not staying open. On checking the hinge mechanism, I discovered that the spring pin/clip that is supposed to act as the door check has broken off and lost the roller that is supposed to go into the slot on the inner hinge base.
Replacement springs are available from Italy on ebay but are quite dear with postage etc. Before ordering these, I wonder if anyone has fitted these parts and how difficult a job it is. Is there another solution or should we just put up with the door as it is?
Many thanks, Ian

Ah, so that's how it's supposed to work.

Mine is broken too.

I imagine the only real faff will be having to support the door whilst fitting, wife will have to help.

I'll have a look at mine tonight, I've been trying to figure out how they worked for a while.

Will be interested to know what you think. The break is just above the bend on the bottom of the pin. If you look at the front end of the hinge with the door fully open you will see a slot that I think the roller on the pin is supposed to slot into.

Ok, I don't think mine is broken, not exactly. Looks like the roller, which is on the spring, attached to the body of the car, is supposed to ride on a "track" that is part of the door side of the hinge.

On mine, the roller has dropped down and is no longer on the track, I think the door may have been forced too far open in the past.

I can't get the door all the way open to get a proper look tonight, garage isn't wide enough, I'll have another look at the weekend.

Looks easy enough, 4 bolts to remove door, trick will be lining it all back up again when reassembling. Mark the hinge positions on the door and body with a pencil beforehand, helps.

Thanks for your advice. One of the benefits I find from the Forum is getting a second opinion on something which then gives me confidence to have a go at a job I haven't tackled before.

Ok, got a good look at it this weekend.

Bad news is that in order to fix it, I suspect you need to remove the whole hinge assembly from the car, then drive the hinge pin out.

Would be interested to see the replacement springs you've found.

Hi Steve. Have to admit that I chickened out of the new spring idea and got a complete new hinge from Italy. Anyway, fitted today in less than an hour. Very straightforward with wife enlisted as door holder! Makes a big difference to use of car as daily driver - no more bruised shins from door closing on leg. Thanks again for your advice and encouragement. Ian

Got a link to where you bought the hinge from? I wouldn't mind a new one myself...

Thanks, they only appear to list a RH (DX) hinge, I need a left, though I'll take a close look at the weekend as it looks suspiciously like the same hinge will fit both sides...

Found some other bits I was looking for, like the rear numberplate light.

Good link.

Sorry, thought it was the RH (i.e. UK driver's side) one you wanted. This is the side I needed and could not find anywhere else. Having fitted mine, I think the fixing points are reversible but the roller would be on the upper side and not sure if this would work properly. Worth asking if they have the SX one. Alternatively, JBS Car Spares in Lancashire did have one in stock when I contacted them about the RH one. I will PM the details.

I seem to recall that the rear door hinges might be the same as the fronts, if so that would give extra options if you can find a breaker.

Mine is a 3 door, Mk1.

I'm after a left front upper hinge (LHD car), but I'm not in any great hurry, bodywork is currently a low proirity. To be honest, I need a new LH door and front wing.

I'm in central France, 19000 postcode, if that helps calculate postage costs.

Drop me a PM if you're interested in selling.

Back