General Dodgy Barchetta Warning

Currently reading:
General Dodgy Barchetta Warning

This is a warning to new buyers. Some one is trying to sell my old Barchetta - lying about the mileage (A LOT - it's actially done 180,000 KM or 120,000 miles) and failing to mention it was in insurance write off (serious water damage).

I'm heartbroken, because I wanted to see it back on the road, just not trying to swindle someone :-(

Link http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2001-FIAT-BAR...omobiles_UK&hash=item1c18f29d1a#ht_500wt_1156

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Good for you for putting out this warning. I saw this car, thought it looked smart and was about to recommend it to a friend who is looking for a B. Interesting to note that the seller has 100% e-bay feedback. Can anything be done about this?

Just got this message in reply to the car

"Dear tony200909,

I contact guy who sold me that car and he show me
yours pictures on google street view how you tried
to fix that engine and he told me you totaly
damaged it so he changed engine and adjust milage,
youre pathetic, if you didnt know anything about
car you shouldnt touch it

- iksu84"

This means that someone local has probably sold him the car. Let's find out who...

My reply

"Dear iksu84,

I'm afraid that's not true at all. Please tell me who sold you the car. If you really
didn't know the car had been written off, I suggest you get your money back.

- tony200909"

I'm pretty sure I know who sold the car to the guy - and probably has bull****ted about it. Once confirmed I'll contact the relevant authorities.

Interesting

"Dear tony200909,

So what was wrong with that car?
just passed mot in dec and mechanic never found
enything wrong to mechanical or body?
what was other reason for write off?

- iksu84"

"Dear iksu84,

I don't wish to discuss this. You now know you are in possession of a car which has falsified mileage and
is an insurance write off. I still have all the purchase documents and MOTs showing the original mileage.
This is extremely illegal, and the car is dangerous. I am not accusing you of anything, but it seem the
person who sold you the car is _very_ dishonest. I would immediately contact him and ask for your money
back. Here is proof of mileage http://i.imgur.com/hqJ57.jpg

- tony200909"

The vehicle status report clearly states "Insurance write off." Thats probably the best £3.50 i ever spent.
It also explains why there have been no bids on this car.

No category given. The report just states that the car has been an insurance write off.

Could anyone please explain to me what an insurance write off means?

Could anyone please explain to me what an insurance write off means?

when insurance decide to give you money instead of repairing the car. (normally happens if repair is more money than 2 thirds of car value, so the older a car gets the less it needs to be written off, just a dent or scratch can make a 10 year old car a write off)

in the uk categories were introduced to this too so people could tell what write off's were safe to be used again and what was only fit for scrap. if a car is a category D or C they are ok to use again, if its a D it can just be used with out repair if its a C it can be used after repair.

Last edited:
Just got this message in reply to the car

"Dear tony200909,

I contact guy who sold me that car and he show me
yours pictures on google street view how you tried
to fix that engine and he told me you totaly
damaged it so he changed engine and adjust milage,
youre pathetic, if you didnt know anything about
car you shouldnt touch it

- iksu84"

This means that someone local has probably sold him the car. Let's find out who...

The bloke sounds like a right ******! :tosser:

Yeah, but maybe I could have phrased things a little more softly too. I was just quite upset. The exact same thing happened to an old Renault 5 my dad had. Soemone ran into the back of him, then a few months later it was on eBay with no mention of the accident. Same garage. I'll be reporting them to trading standard on Monday :-(

Such a shame, it is far and away my favourite car - would have loved to see it on the road again. Most likely it will end up crushed now :-(

Nothing wrong with the car having been declared uneconomical to repair by the insurance company (Cat. D) and then someone buying it cheap and doing the work. Also, as far as I know, although it would be nice, there's no legal requirement for a private seller to declare this when selling. I don't think the seller is doing anything wrong there - if it was Cat. D.

Even if it was Cat. C, I don't think it needs to be declared in the ad although there should be an engineers report approving the repairs. It's up to the buyer to check the history.

Cat. B (some parts can be sold) or Cat. A (crushed, no parts can be sold) can't be put back on the road.

The false mileage is the problem and it is illegal to knowingly sell a car with false mileage, which this guy is now doing. This should be reported to the Police and DVLA, not just Ebay.

Claiming it is fitted with 'full Abarth equipmen
t' should also be a criminal offence.[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]

Last edited:
Last message from him

"Dear tony200909,

I dont know what is your problem
You get your money from insurance company for dont
know what, and you making problems for new user,
however car been send abroad today"

This seems to be getting more and more illegal. Is there any international Barchetta sites I can post on?

Back