General Doblo Petrol Engine

Currently reading:
General Doblo Petrol Engine

davemcd

Hi, I am now on my second Doblo and have just covered over 30k miles and only problems have been rear washer not working, fixed under warranty, and luggage blind broken, repaired by dealer as not covered by warranty. The performance of the 1.6 diesel is much better than previous 1.3multijet but I miss not having the tilting seat base of the earlier model but overall quite happy with it. My question is regarding a future replacement. The diesel engine now seems to be going out of favour because of pollution and increased maintenance costs (dpf, egr etc) so is there any news of a decent petrol doblo on the cards. I am thinking of a petrol engine along the lines of VW Tsi or Fords Ecoboost. FIAT have the multair engine but do not seem to have any plans to put it in the doblo. I have driven a petrol doblo but it was no where near as good as the diesel. I wondered if anyone had any news of developments at FIAT. Many thanks David

Hi, I am now on my second Doblo and have just covered over 30k miles and only problems have been rear washer not working, fixed under warranty, and luggage blind broken, repaired by dealer as not covered by warranty. The performance of the 1.6 diesel is much better than previous 1.3multijet but I miss not having the tilting seat base of the earlier model but overall quite happy with it. My question is regarding a future replacement. The diesel engine now seems to be going out of favour because of pollution and increased maintenance costs (dpf, egr etc) so is there any news of a decent petrol doblo on the cards. I am thinking of a petrol engine along the lines of VW Tsi or Fords Ecoboost. FIAT have the multair engine but do not seem to have any plans to put it in the doblo. I have driven a petrol doblo but it was no where near as good as the diesel. I wondered if anyone had any news of developments at FIAT. Many thanks David

It's horses for courses - with cars there will maybe be a move away from diesel (they may change taxes to cause that) but I can't see diesel being replaced by petrol in vans any time soon. Petrol can't compete in the lugability stakes - and to be honest, the bruhahah about diesel is largely pish.

Until we're running either electric (or hydrogen) engines = **** in the air. Suck it up (literally)

They've been playing fast and loose with the data, for sure - but anybody surprised that a diesel doen't put out more ****e when it's driving around pulling 2 tonnes than when it's sitting in an MOT bay needs to get out more ;)

Hi, I agree with what you say but my concern is that the addition anti-pollution measures make it unneconomic to keep a diesel on the raod for more than 3 to 4 years or around 50k miles which will also be reflected in residual values. Whether or not the new high performance small capacity petrol engines fare any better remains to be seen.

Its simplz.
Diesels cost more both initially and when the dpf or dual mass flywheel start playing up. But they have more power and are a bit more economical at the pumps.
Petrols cost less and hence for low mileages are more economic.

Back