General Doblo 2001-2010 full size spare wheel

Currently reading:
General Doblo 2001-2010 full size spare wheel

OldGeek

In case anyone is wondering - A full size 185-65R15 wheel and tyre will fit in the underbody tray.

My recently purchased 2007 1.9JTD Doblo MPV had a "space saver" 125-80R15 wheel and tyre in the tray.

It's the first car I've bought with one of these damn things, and I was surprised to see how thin the tread was, even though it still had the pimples and had never been run on. There was only about 2mm of tread. Then after reading about them I was even more surprised that they were only supposed to be used for a maximum of 50 miles. I knew there was a max speed limit of 80kmh, but had never realised how short a life they would have when used.

After a bit of online research it appeared that a standard size spare wheel would fit in the tray instead, (since it's the basic van underneath), and this was confirmed by the fact that the "space saver" wheel actual had a polystyrene "spacer" to stop it rattling around !!

A quick check with online breakers and the next day a steel wheel with a 125-80R15 tyre with 5mm of tread arrived, for the princely sum of £45. It fits perfectly underneath (without needing the "spacer" :)), and I now feel a lot safer with my blowout precautions......

Attachments

• DSCF6217.JPG
    DSCF6217.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 281
Hi. I just bought a 2 year old Suzuki Vitara it doesn't come with any sort of spare wheel just a bottle of that useless puncture repair gunk.
Luckily it has room in the boot for a full size alloy wheel so I bought one from the breakers £100 with a nearly new Michelin on it jack and wheel brace money well spent even if I never use it, peace of mind knowing its there.
The last time I had a puncture was on the motorway at 70mph time I got to the hard shoulder the tyre was completely shredded so gunk would have been useless.

Quite true about the gunk being a forlorn hope Cris.

My Son-in-law had a nearly new Nissan Note, which not only had no spare wheel or jack, but it didn't even have side jacking points. The "gunk" was useless for him too, as the tyre had developed a slit.

In case anyone is wondering - A full size 185-65R15 wheel and tyre will fit in the underbody tray.

My recently purchased 2007 1.9JTD Doblo MPV had a "space saver" 125-80R15 wheel and tyre in the tray.

It's the first car I've bought with one of these damn things, and I was surprised to see how thin the tread was, even though it still had the pimples and had never been run on. There was only about 2mm of tread. Then after reading about them I was even more surprised that they were only supposed to be used for a maximum of 50 miles. I knew there was a max speed limit of 80kmh, but had never realised how short a life they would have when used.

After a bit of online research it appeared that a standard size spare wheel would fit in the tray instead, (since it's the basic van underneath), and this was confirmed by the fact that the "space saver" wheel actual had a polystyrene "spacer" to stop it rattling around !!

A quick check with online breakers and the next day a steel wheel with a 125-80R15 tyre with 5mm of tread arrived, for the princely sum of £45. It fits perfectly underneath (without needing the "spacer" :)), and I now feel a lot safer with my blowout precautions......

Hiya I've done the same but I'm struggling to fit my full size tyre into the crate! There seems to be a cross beam stopping the wheel from being pushed up so that latch can catch it. I have a family car / mpv van the doblo with windows but of the same year. Did you manipulate the crate in any way to fit the wheel?

Hiya I've done the same but I'm struggling to fit my full size tyre into the crate! There seems to be a cross beam stopping the wheel from being pushed up so that latch can catch it. I have a family car / mpv van the doblo with windows but of the same year. Did you manipulate the crate in any way to fit the wheel?
Hi,
No, I didn't have to modify anything, and mine has got the cross beam as shown in the first photo.
It is a "snug" fit, so the latch has to be loosened as low as it'll go. Even then, when pushing the cradle up to the latch, the weight and the awkwardness of pushing upwards for the last half inch prompted me to cut a short peace of wood to act as a prop. It's then easy to wedge the prop between the ground and the bottom cross bar of the cradle. It then lifts that last half inch easily, even for decrepit old me (I'm 71 :)).

Despite doing this, it isn't then over-tight, (which I guess could damage the tyre), because once the latch engages it draps down slightly. So the wheel can be jiggled around slightly. I then just snug it up with 3 or 4 turns to hold it firmly (but not too tight).

I'm pretty confident that the cradle and space was designed for the full size wheel as it is exactly the same depth as the space saver wheel plus the polystyrene spacer, (which is no longer used).

Attachments

• DSCF6182.JPG
    DSCF6182.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 40
  • DSCF6217.JPG
    DSCF6217.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 37
Back