Technical Disposable Punto

Currently reading:
Technical Disposable Punto

MattR222

Big ends have gone on my HGT Punto. So I had the crank checked and it is fine. So I now need a set of standard Mains and big end shells. The FIAT main dealer doent know how to sell them to me! I have a cat C crank but he needs to know what colour code the shells that I need are and I cant tell him cos there isnt a colour on either the crank the shells or the con rods! Help please!

fiat dealer should be able to tell you from the parts computer if not then fiat should be contacted and they can help they have a duty to be able to provide you with the parts

try another garage

incidentally is there any evidence of new valves from a cambelt failure in the cars past it's the normal cause of big end failure on that engine for some reason the shells get stamped thin when valves hit

my dads 1.8 alfa same engine did and it had 8 new exhaust valves in it lol good job your crank is ok as it's nitrided and cannot be ground must be replaced at about 900quid

No sign of damaged valves and eventually found that the cranks and end shells are colour coded either red blue or yellow according to the size. Mine turned out to be in the yellow class. Now I know this I keep finding littleclues all over the engine such as a little spot of yellow paint on the sump nd various other places!

Still the rebuild is under way and hope to have it back on the road soon.:D

Back