500 Disable stop start

Currently reading:
500 Disable stop start

Does anybody know if you can disable the stop start function on a fiat 500 (2007+) without getting the orange warning light in the cluster using MES? Now I push the button on the dash every time I start the car. Best option would be that the function works the other way around so that when I press the button stop start is activated.
yes you can remove both the light and the function using AlfaOBD, I think you can do it in FES also but I will try and take some screenshots just in the middle of an issue with my Ducato.

Not fully researched myself but any Smart Charge Alternator is almost certainly not going to use any engaged/disengage clutch mechanism. It will be the alternator's regulator that controls the charge. Note! All alternator regulators will reduce the charge to a battery when the batterty reaches full charge voltage. This Smart Charge technology is I believe to allow the vehicle to vary or even stop the charging current, an thus engine load, depending on different factors and different electrical system loading.
I think that Stop start causes more premature wear due to the constant re starting of the vehicle and the extra power needed from the battery to do just that, the reason I assume stop start was designed for emissions when sat in traffic but I suspect it takes more fuel to restart a car/van so not convinced.

Also modern vehicles have turbos spinning at 100k rpm and then come to a sudden halt no longer getting cooled or lubricated especially if its a highly sprung vehicle like a stage 3 Abarth running on its limits :)

We see so many vehicles come in Ducato/Peugeot etc with issues and guess what they are
DPF
EGR
Add Blue

Remove these and your vehicle can live to the ripe old age instead of failing after 12 months or less, (opinion based)

but I suspect it takes more fuel to restart a car/van so not convinced.
Based on what?
The engine is hot, it should pretty much go on the first turn, and they do in my experience.

Also modern vehicles have turbos spinning at 100k rpm and then come to a sudden halt no longer getting cooled or lubricated especially if its a highly sprung vehicle like a stage 3 Abarth running on its limits :)
How many people go from full power to standstill in less than a second. Modern turbo have water cooling and dont need the long cool down. Any decent driver would have slowed down to a sensible speed a good 10 to 15 seconds before stop start would ever cut in.

Based on what?
The engine is hot, it should pretty much go on the first turn, and they do in my experience.

How many people go from full power to standstill in less than a second. Modern turbo have water cooling and dont need the long cool down. Any decent driver would have slowed down to a sensible speed a good 10 to 15 seconds before stop start would ever cut in.
It's a good topic to argue but if you are in the trade you will agree.

Turbos are oil cooled and or water cooled but they spool once started and if you recall the old turbo timers they fitted to Jap cars

Some are only oil cooled and oil boils
So does water

I also agree with the comment of decent driver that's why we have a row of ducatos with engine issues as the drivers don't own them they drive them like they stole them

Anyway emissions are a great thing to kill your engine

yes you can remove both the light and the function using AlfaOBD, I think you can do it in FES also but I will try and take some screenshots just in the middle of an issue with my Ducato.

Thanks, I tried it with MES but my car is a fiat 500 that identifies as Ford Ka. Unfortunately it will not connect to the dashboard module where you need to change this.

It's a good topic to argue but if you are in the trade you will agree.

Turbos are oil cooled and or water cooled but they spool once started and if you recall the old turbo timers they fitted to Jap cars

Some are only oil cooled and oil boils
So does water

I also agree with the comment of decent driver that's why we have a row of ducatos with engine issues as the drivers don't own them they drive them like they stole them

Anyway emissions are a great thing to kill your engine
You can bolt as much crap and technology as you want onto an engine but as you quite rightly say it all comes back to the same rules as it always has with internal combustion engines, let them warm up and let them cool down slowly and they’ll last longer. And the more times you start them and stop them, the more wear on various components. Start stop is a gimmick to tick boxes

You can bolt as much crap and technology as you want onto an engine but as you quite rightly say it all comes back to the same rules as it always has with internal combustion engines, let them warm up and let them cool down slowly and they’ll last longer. And the more times you start them and stop them, the more wear on various components. Start stop is a gimmick to tick boxes
And sell starter motors and batteries!

Start stop is a gimmick to tick boxes
How can the car not idling while stationary be a gimmick? It saves fuel and pollution. Granted it's not going to have a huge impact, but there are no negatives, unlike dpf etc.

And I've never had to do an starter on any car I've had with stop start.

Opinions differ! thats why this particular topic gets batted back and forth so much! like many things there are both advantages and disadvantages depends on your point of view and personal situation in the end!.

Back