Technical Desperate For Uno turbo help

Currently reading:
Technical Desperate For Uno turbo help

tyzfly

Hi guys

I have a mk2 uno turbo that wont start on ignition but will easily push start, the engine turns over but doesnt actually start up.

And problem2, when i hit full boost the car sort of hops around instead of boosting.

And problem 3. I can hear a whine noise, its sounds like air being let out of a balloon...

Any help would be appreciated

Cheers
Ty

Hello tyzfly, welcome to the forum :wave:

Problem 1 sounds like an ignition switch fault, as everything works with the switch in the 'on' position, but the ignition doesn't work with the switch in the 'start' position. It is possible to remove the switch quite easily from the back of the lock barrel (press in a locking tab in a slot on the side of the barrel); you can even take the switch apart to try and clean it - but probably best to get another. Unfortunately there are several designs of ignition switch fitted to Unos, so you would have to remove your switch first to be assured of getting a match.

Problems 2 and 3 - you have a boost leak. Check the small hose that connects the turbocharger to the metal pipe that runs across the gearbox. Check the intercooler end tanks for obvious splits. The boost hoses down there are less likely to fail, but the boost hose on top of the engine (that connects to the air intake) also splits sometimes.

Finally, the original recirculating dump valve is probably split by now, though that usually shows up most as an idling problem and less of a problem on full boost. My guess is the pipe from the turbo itself as being most likely the problem.

Best of luck!

-Alex

Ahhh my fellow kiwi, thanks for your reply, i have steves old uno turbo.

Boost leak i can sort, but ignition part, not so mechanically inclined... Cheers for the reply though

Ahhh my fellow kiwi, thanks for your reply, i have steves old uno turbo.

Boost leak i can sort, but ignition part, not so mechanically inclined... Cheers for the reply though

The number of members in the Uno forum that live in New Zealand (half of us?) seems completely out of proportion to the worldwide distribution of Unos in English-speaking countries (y) I think the survival rate of the Uno must be far higher here than elsewhere. I still see an Uno somewhere most times I drive into town, and almost always a Mk1.

So, this is the ex-Steve, ex-Clive one-of-a-handful red 1991 Mk2 Uno Turbo with hybrid turbo... how long have you had it for? Seems to have been a bit of a hot potato, LOL...

-Alex

Last edited:
yeah thats the one, um since february. its a great car, but looking to sell it now as i have decided to supercharge my golf vr6

The number of members in the Uno forum that live in New Zealand (half of us?) seems completely out of proportion to the worldwide distribution of Unos in English-speaking countries (y) I think the survival rate of the Uno must be far higher here than elsewhere. I still see an Uno somewhere most times I drive into town, and almost always a Mk1.

-Alex

How many English speaking countries did get the Uno?

South African market is a bit different too the rest of the world too.

I think Kiwi's are just a little more tech savvy, on the internet more and have more of a DIY mentality.

2 days after asking some questions, car not fixed, now you want to sell it? :confused:

You don't sell a Uno. They own YOU!

:p

Thanks for the help guys, cars all sorted, engine just randomly started, and intercooler pipe from the turbo was loose, last but not least im having a new dump valve made for me, should be here next week some time...

Oh and an uno may own you! but nobody takes you seriously in fiat:D

Back