Cleaning & Maintaining Your Aftermarket Air Filter

Currently reading:
Cleaning & Maintaining Your Aftermarket Air Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All,

Iam not one for telling members how to suck eggs, but cleaning and maintaining your aftermarket cone or element filter is always over looked,so i thought i would do a quick guide on how to keep your air filters clean and in tip top condition,

Firstly you need to ask yourself how often do you need to clean them?,this could be down to the amount of miles you cover?,if its the case that you do cover big miles?,i would then clean it on whatever the manufactures recommended service intervals are for your model?, or if you don't cover many miles?, i would then clean it on an Annual basis,

When you buy a new aftermarket cone or element filter before fitting you will most defiantly have to give it a spray first before fitting using oil filter oil like in the pic below,

marketfiltercleanoilrecharge007-1.jpg

Now you don't have to use this type of K&N kit to clean your air filter no matter what make your using as there are many many other kits out there on the market for less, but this kit will set you back about £8-10 which to be honest isn't all that expensive to keep your filter and engine in good condition,

So how to maintain and keep your filter in good condition, you firstly have to remove the cone filter and give the outside face a brush down to loosen the dirt first like in the pic's below,

marketfiltercleanoilrecharge004-1.jpg

marketfiltercleanoilrecharge005-1.jpg

Once you have done this you need to spray the outside face with air filter cleaner and leave it for the recommended time to allow the cleaner to activate and loosen the rest of the dirt,which is about 10-15 minutes,

marketfiltercleanoilrecharge008-1.jpg

marketfiltercleanoilrecharge009-1.jpg

Once you have allowed the cleaner to activate its just a case of taking the filter now to the kitchen sink and run the tap with Luke warm water "NOT HOT" just Luke warm water will do and rinse the dirt off on the outside face working from the cleanest side what ever that may be?, top or bottom rinsing it off from the cleanest side down to the dirtiest side,

Once you have done this its just a case of drying off the filter using a clean dry rag to remove the excess water and then leave the filter to dry naturally!,

Once the filter is dry you can then charge the filter on the outside face using the air filter oil like below thats provided in your kit, do not spray to much oil, just enough to cover the outer face and no more,

marketfiltercleanoilrecharge012-1.jpg

marketfiltercleanoilrecharge015-1.jpg

marketfiltercleanoilrecharge011-1.jpg

Then it just a case of refitting you filter then your good to go,

Hope this helps,

For any further assistance relating to this guide please post in Fiatscotland's Technical section for further assistance!

All the best Scuderia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back