Technical Check Stop Lights

Currently reading:
Technical Check Stop Lights

Cait22

Hi everyone,

I had the “ASR disconnected, ESC and hill assist unavailable, check stop lights” warnings for quite some time (over a year, I would guess) and from much Googling had always assumed that it was a bad brake light switch. It didn’t affect the performance of the car in any other way, and brake lights still operated normally.

I am now wanting to sell the car and ordered an aftermarket brake light switch at about 1/5th of the price of an original part. Once installed, the aftermarket switch removed the “ASR disconnected, ESC and hill assist unavailable” warnings, but the “check stop lights” warning was still there. After a bit of driving, the “ASR disconnected, ESC and hill assist unavailable” warning light started appearing intermittently again.

After playing around with the aftermarket switch yesterday, I discovered that if you wedge a piece of cardboard between the plate that rests against the switch and the plunger of the switch, the “check stop lights” warning goes away. However, as soon as the brake pedal is depressed again, the plate moves away from the switch, the cardboard shifts and the warning light appears again.

Today I purchased an original switch at R900 (±GBP 38) hoping to clear the “check stop lights” warning, but to no avail. Once again, if you wedge a piece of cardboard between the switch and the plate, the warning disappears until the brake pedal is depressed. This leads me to believe that the plate might be too far away from the switch holder. On the other hand though, the plunger part of the switch is adjustable, and so should cater to slight discrepancies in plate/switch distances.

Long story short - I am gatvol (/ˈxɑːtfɔːl/ South African English [ˈxɐtfɔl] [not usually before noun] (South African English) (informal) very upset or extremely unhappy or bored with a situation. gatvol (of somebody/something) I am gatvol of travelling on a jarring road, picking up punctures.) I’m trying to fix the car up (at least by clearing the warning lights!) before selling it for something a little less…Italian.

Anyone have any advice/similar experiences?

PS, I have also repaired the wiring loom between the body and boot of the car. Thanks to that, my boot now opens without using the key and my number plate lights now work!

If you glue a spacer to the "plate" that may work for you

Hi Gatvol 😂,

Check the brake light bulbs are the correct type (not led bulbs) the number of watts power of the bulbs are important.

Best wishes

Jack
Thanks Jack, I may as well replace the brake light bulbs, though due to the intermittent nature of the issue I remain unconvinced.

If you glue a spacer to the "plate" that may work for you
Thanks Jack, that was certainly going to be my next move. As I said, I do wonder if the brake light switch shouldn't be able to resolve the issue itself considering that it is adjustable.

Morning all, new complication. After playing around with brake light switches yesterday the car is suddenly misfiring pretty badly. Do we think that it is just a coincidence and there is actually something else wrong now? Or could it be related to this whole brake light switch saga?

Morning all, new complication. After playing around with brake light switches yesterday the car is suddenly misfiring pretty badly. Do we think that it is just a coincidence and there is actually something else wrong now? Or could it be related to this whole brake light switch saga?
I'd say not related, remove each plug and check, it and the wiring/leads?

Back