Technical Changing the coolant temp sensor?

Currently reading:
Technical Changing the coolant temp sensor?

lowaaa

Hi, I've got a fiat punto 2004, 16v. Had a P0115 error pop up a few weeks back. I've attempted at removing the old coolant temp sensor but I can't seem to understand how to remove it.

Firstly the connector, not sure how that comes off. Tried pushing in the pins on the side and nothing, anyone got a clue on how to disconnect the connector from the temp sensor?

Also how do you unbolt the temp sensor? It seems theres these black lines above the bolt, meaning there would be no way of unscrewing the bolt? Is it possible that the bolts been pushed in too far and now it's impossible to remove?

Thanks.

Hi, I've got a fiat punto 2004, 16v. Had a P0115 error pop up a few weeks back. I've attempted at removing the old coolant temp sensor but I can't seem to understand how to remove it.

Firstly the connector, not sure how that comes off. Tried pushing in the pins on the side and nothing, anyone got a clue on how to disconnect the connector from the temp sensor?

Also how do you unbolt the temp sensor? It seems theres these black lines above the bolt, meaning there would be no way of unscrewing the bolt? Is it possible that the bolts been pushed in too far and now it's impossible to remove?

Thanks.

Thats a bit confusing because i have the 16V but I think you have the sensor that is part of the housing and part of the inlet manifold and has to be replaced with that housing. You can remove the housing by undoing the two bolts and knocking the housing/that part of the inlet manifold downwards - I have never done that though.

https://www.fiatforum.com/punto-ii/...ure-sensor-housing-replacement.html?p=4566084

My sensor can be unscrewed. The sensor housing is under the inlet manifold and cannot be easily removed.

I am fairly sure on my sensor the connector just clips on and you lift the clip. Yours might be different.

Last edited:
ut I think you have the sensor that is part of the housing and part of the inlet manifold and has to be replaced with that housing.

Ahh right. I think I see what you're saying. So basically I have the part which comes as one instead of having the ability to change the sensor itself?

For instance based on this image:

(pasted image here but due to less than 5 posts can't really show you. I'll pm you it.)

The black bits around the bolt prevent it from being unscrewed.

I guess I need to buy the whole thing instead of it separately. Gotcha.

Also in regards to pulling / unclipping it, I'm struggling with that. Is there a clip you have to presson the back or the front? It doesn't pull out easily and I'm worried of damaging something.

Thank you!!!!!

Ahh right. I think I see what you're saying. So basically I have the part which comes as one instead of having the ability to change the sensor itself?

For instance based on this image:

(pasted image here but due to less than 5 posts can't really show you. I'll pm you it.)

The black bits around the bolt prevent it from being unscrewed.

I guess I need to buy the whole thing instead of it separately. Gotcha.

Also in regards to pulling / unclipping it, I'm struggling with that. Is there a clip you have to presson the back or the front? It doesn't pull out easily and I'm worried of damaging something.

Thank you!!!!!

Yes that is the correct part you sent me in the PM. There is no part that you have to unclip other than that happening as you knock it down..

As I said I have not removed this part myself. But others are saying you unbolt it and knock it down. I suppose with some care with it unbolted you can get it fairly loose so the removal method becomes more obvious.

Edit: Ah it seems you have already been trying to remove it. it has to be knocked down. so it slides out in a downwards direction. As i say i have never done this.

Last edited:
Yes that is the correct part you sent me in the PM. There is no part that you have to unclip other than that happening as you knock it down..

As I said I have not removed this part myself. But others are saying you unbolt it and knock it down. I suppose with some care with it unbolted you can get it fairly loose so the removal method becomes more obvious.

Edit: Ah it seems you have already been trying to remove it. it has to be knocked down. so it slides out in a downwards direction. As i say i have never done this.
Ended up getting around to doing it today and it went perfect. Had to push a lot of the wires out of the way when removing the unit but apart from that it went okay. Remembered what you said about pushing / hitting it downwards after spending 10minutes trying to pull it off and it slid right off. Going back in was a bit hard with the new piece as I couldn't really get it aligned but it ended up working in the end.

I really really appreciate the feedback you provided me with :) Thank you!

Back