General Central locking.

Currently reading:
General Central locking.

electricmice

Hi everybody. As some of you will already know I have an '89 MkI Turbo that is bit by bit being restored to as good a condition as I can get it.

My car has electric windows as standard but unfortunately no central locking. As I'd like to eventually delock the car and tie it in with the alarm system I bought a pair of central locking units from a breakers in Italy and recently had a look at what work I need to do. Each unit houses a solenoid with a bracket, handle and slam lock with 5 wires that need to be connected. Checking in the haines manuals wiring diagrams I realised that I'm missing a 'central locking control unit' that deals with all the wires like an exchange and is simply powered by a + and -.

Does anyone know what this actually is and whether it's a stand alone unit or something that's built into the car?

Thanks.

Matteo

That's kind of a relay thing which controls the lock/unlock operations, and is normally been controlled by a security system or a car's central lock assy.I have delt with it but it was for my other car, and all the wires from door solenoids just plug it to this unit, and this unit was connected with the cars security system.

I have seen on ebay , 4 door solinoids + 1 conrtol unit for about 3-4 pounds.. So it's worth a try. ( well i have seen it on ebay india, and the costs were in INR, just rounded it up to equavalent pounts )

My car is of 97 dec, but still no luck with electric windows..they're damn costly here still...say round 130 pounds or so..for a full set (mine's a 5 dr uno)

Good luck with yr car..(y)

With the Uno you can just use an aftermarket central locking kit. It provides you with the motors, wires, controler, and heaps of extra bits that you dont need. If you already have the motors then you can probably buy a controler from an electronics shop, or remove one from a wrecked uno (big box thing on the fuse box on the drivers side).

Fook knows mate

My old MK2 central locking was a up one side - down the other - then go back to the other side to lock type ****e! lol

As JJHepBurn said but i have never used one and not sure on there sorta reliablity issues (water, dust, etc, etc)

jjhepburn said:
With the Uno you can just use an aftermarket central locking kit. It provides you with the motors, wires, controler, and heaps of extra bits that you dont need.

Exactly. I have an aftermarket remote control CL/alarm system installed which was less than 50 Euro. It was an easy bolt-on job as the locks in my Mk1 had the holes for the CL levers already pre-drilled. New aftermarket ECU/RC set (i.e. without the motors) is about 25 Euro where I live.

Basically, I would think that any standard CL ECU should do - the systems are very similar and very simple. Example: I had to replace the CL ECU in my Citroen BX a few years ago and the money asked for the unit from the breakers were just ridiculous. In the end, I got the ECU from Škoda 136 Favorit (yep, that Commie crate) for about 2 Euro and, after some soldering, it worked a treat.

Last edited:
(CZ)enda said:
Exactly. I have an aftermarket remote control CL/alarm system installed which was less than 50 Euro. It was an easy bolt-on job as the locks in my Mk1 had the holes for the CL levers already pre-drilled. New aftermarket ECU/RC set (i.e. without the motors) is about 25 Euro where I live.

Basically, I would think that any standard CL ECU should do - the systems are very similar and very simple. Example: I had to replace the CL ECU in my Citroen BX a few years ago and the money asked for the unit from the breakers were just ridiculous. In the end, I got the ECU from Škoda 136 Favorit (yep, that Commie crate) for about 2 Euro and, after some soldering, it worked a treat.

Good way round it! (y)

Funny cus my 88 f plate has electric windows and central locking.... it works with my clifford alarm so im de locking mine..
If i new where to look for the control unit then i might be able to help u out..:D

I think the control unit for both electric windows and central locking is on a plate underneath the instrument pod on a mk2. Pull out the instrument cluster and you should see two relay looking things underneath, they are clipped onto a metal bracket from what I can remember. I'm going on a mk2 turbo I stripped out the electric window wiring from so forgive me if I forget exactly where they are located.

On very early mk1's, the units are on a ledge to the right of the driver's footwell. If you put your hand under the dashboard and feel just above the carpet you should feel a couple of relays. These control the electric windows and central locking.

But those are for VERY early mk1's, the ones with electric window switches in the centre console. Later mk1's could well be like the mk2, but I'm not sure. Anyone else know where to find them?

I was going to fit central locking to my Uno. But as they only work on the doors (not the tailgate) I took one look at all the wires involved and decided it was more trouble than it was worth as retrofitting 20 year old wiring and relays plus the microswitches in the door lock panels was bound to lead to problems! Bit of of bummer if I want to de-lock the doors though :rolleyes:

Cheers for all this guys, I'll take a look at it all and see what happens. I'll keep you posted............M.

Rob-mint-mk1-uno said:
Funny cus my 88 f plate has electric windows and central locking.... it works with my clifford alarm so im de locking mine..
If i new where to look for the control unit then i might be able to help u out..:D

Mines a 89 f plate sorry, not sure if central locking came with it or weather it was a extra some one else fitted... any body know :)

alexGS said:
Well, my '88 Uno Turbo didn't come with central locking, but did come with electric windows (for what it's worth) :)

-Alex

Might just be worth me stripping off my door cards and taking a look, see if they are made by fiat?? nice and easy just to push the alarm button and all the doors lock. good to know my baby's protected from the mugs of the street....lol
Any way in ur case no central locking = less weight :D

Back