Technical cant select reverse gear

Currently reading:
Technical cant select reverse gear

galliagh

cant select reverse gear on my 2003 ulysse jtd its nots the linkage any suggestions the mechanic thinks it may be an electrical fault but not sure

lift the gearstick gaiter and make sure the reverse lockout is working ok (when you pull up the lockout ring under gear knob)
as far as i know there is no electric link to reverse apart from reversing light which would not cause this problem
please post reply when you find cure :)

just checked on my cd rom manual and there is no electric conection to gearbox i would check lock out cable , gear lever end is easy just prise up gaiter at pointed end (towards back of car ) and check cable is being moved by pulling up the lockout ring , if ok check other end that is bolted to back of gearbox , just unbolt it and get someone else to operate lockout ring if this end is working ok then problem may be more serious

good luck

I had the same problem, the small bit of plastic on the bottom of the gear knob had broken off and jammed in the slot, Is the gear knob twisting around? Sorted it out with super glue but really needs another knob to fix properly

thanks for all ur help, i had to buy the gear stick and linkage all together the ball at the bottom end of the gear stick was split, put the new one in and theres no problem now thanks again for your input,

My car started this on Saturday and I have had to push it out of car parking spaces everyday and now a little fed up.

It will not select reverse and I believe it is because the lockout ring will not lift all the way up, suggesting there is something stuck in it. Perhaps like the other member of the forum who found something broken off inside.

However, I can not get me gear knob off - any suggestions to how I can fix this problem without spending money I don't have..?

Colin

you don't have to take your knob off :D
just lift the gaiter (cover around gear lever) off it should slide up and over your knob then you can check for the problem
good luck

Thanks for your reply.
However, I have removed the gaiter and can not see anything visibly wrong. It feels as if the reverse 'hole' as it were is not there, so assume their is a gate which the lockout ring open (?) and it is this which will not allow me to put it into reverse.

Just to let you know in case this comes up again..

I have solved the problem by wrenching the knob off with a pair of grips to find a piece of plastic underneath had snapped off stopping the lockout collar to lift up.
I've bought a new knob..problem solved.

Thanks for your help.:slayer:

thanks for all ur help, i had to buy the gear stick and linkage all together the ball at the bottom end of the gear stick was split, put the new one in and theres no problem now thanks again for your input,

Hi, sorry I understand its been like a decade since you had this issue. Just wondering how much of a job this was to do? As I have the exact same issue! Or if you have any hints or tips it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance

Back