Technical Cam belt replacement

Currently reading:
Technical Cam belt replacement

Bigbear52

Hi all
I apologize if this topic has been covered before.
I have a 2019 Fiat Ducato motorhome with 9000 miles and the recommendation to change the cam belt is 4 / 5 years.
Is this really necessary after such a low mileage?
I realize that lack of use can cause its own problems but surely the rubber isn't going to perish over this time.
Any advice greatly appreciated

Yes it important to do a cambelt on a time basis. The recommendation is with low milage there is not need to change water pump as well. With a motor home with low mileage it is also prefferable to change oil every year not 30000 or 2 years as per white van man. If further info required try searching as you say this is not the first time its been asked.

Hi

When it comes to rubber tyres, they supposedly deteriorate more when standing still than when regularly flexed, which seems counter-intuitive. Presumably the same effect may apply to cam belts.

After 5 years, the chances of your belt failing are extremely small. After 6,7,8 years etc that chance steadily builds up. It all depends on your attitude to risk, i.e. there is a small but increasing risk of a very large bill to repair a wrecked engine.

Back