Ducato Buzzing sound

Currently reading:
Ducato Buzzing sound

I have a 2013 Fiat Ducato Maxi 3.0l. After an engine rebuild due to a stuck fuel injector the engine was running beautifully. Then came the struggling to start so back to the garage for a new starter motor. All well again until yesterday when it refused to start. Turn key, lights on and......nothing,no turn, no crank, no sound. After locking, unlocking to make sure it was not the security system i called the AA. Annoyingly it started whislt waiting for their arrival. Mechanic tested battery and alternator and suggested it may be the earthing strap and the battery power kept droppimg. There was also a buzzing sound coming from the engine bay after the engine had been turned off (after checking this morning i found the buzzing to stop after a loud click from the left front area). Before i return once again to the garage does anyone have any suggestions as after engine rebulid/new starter motor/etc its all getting a bit expensive. Thanks.

Hi

If you have a solenoid vacuum valve with thin rubber pipes (under the scuttle in the centre) to control the EGR valve, this can make a buzzing sound. It is rubber mounted to reduce noise transmission. It's too quiet to hear over the engine noise, but after you switch off it can continue buzzing for perhaps 30 seconds until a relay drops out with a click.

Your starting problems are indicative of a faulty battery, starter motor or the wiring (including earth return) between the two. The random nature suggests that it is more likely to be the wiring and its joints. Ducatos of the X250 and X290 type (2006 onwards) rely on the gearbox/engine to body earth strap to pass all the starter current of many hundreds of amps. The condition of this strap is therefore paramount. Beware that it can look OK but have hidden internal corrosion that raises its electrical resistance.

The engine block earthing strap on the x250 Ducato is a notorious source of electrical problems. However the problem usually manifests with spurious alarms and indications.

A simple way to eliminate the earth strap is to connect a jump lead between a clean earth point on the engine, e.g. a lifting lug, and a sound chassis earth point, or better the battery negative if your lead will reach.

Also check earth lead at battery, and battery connections, for cleanliness and tightness.

Disconnect the battery negative, before working on the positive connections.

The buzzing noise that you are hearing could be either due to the starter solenoid trying to engage, or perhaps electrical arcing at a bad connection.

In my experience starter motors either work or fail completely. Some years ago we had a 1.7TD Astra with nearly 14 year old original battery. I was prepared to change the battery at the first hint of trouble. The starter motor failed first after a 20 mile trip.

Hi, Recently I had a similar problem, turn ignition key on, lights on, but no crank. Found the earth strap to be corroded under the strap and not making proper contact. Cleaned the area and refitted it and I've had no bother since covered the bolt and cable lug with grease.

Thank you for replies. After another trip to garage they have removed earthing strap and checked for damage, also wire brushed contact areas and cleared an old fault (immobiliser). Since then starts and run like a dream. All FOC.

Back