Grande Punto buying GP 1.4 T-Jet

Currently reading:
Grande Punto buying GP 1.4 T-Jet

Vickey

First of all hello to everyone ;)

I am picking up my 08 GP this Sunday and have one concern.
Basically the car is from the first owner he bough it new back in 2008, from what he told me, he does not remember if the timing belt has been changed or not. The car has 92,000 Miles on the clock and i think that its quite past the recommended timing belt change :( what do you guys think ?

Well past change time. Bare in mind that although manufacturers issue recommended mileage change indicators, they are only that, indicators. If you were to buy a brand new car with, say, 35,000 as a recommended mileage to change the belt but it snapped at 25,000 they'd be under no obligation to cover it under warranty as they can be notoriously inconsistent.

When my Dad bought his first car with a cambelt (in 1971) I can remember reading in the brochure he brought home that....."the virtually indestructible neoprene cam belt should last the life of the car", which is a far cry from the mileages most manufacturers suggest. I'm not even sure if some manufacturers suggest a time to change, just as they don't suggest service intervals.

I wouldn't want you to become paranoid about it, but to be on the safe side I'd seriously advise you to have it changed at the earliest opportunity. Even if it didn't need it, that's one part of a car's maintenance you shouldn't leave to chance and at least you'd have the peace of mind in knowing it's not going to let go all of a sudden

Oh, welcome by the way. Feel free to wander round and ask any questions you like. If you have technical queries like this one try and ask them in the relevant car's section, in this case Punto Grande. You're more likely to get the kind of response you'd like there. You might find the Moderator for this section may move it for you.

Last edited:
Well past change time. Bare in mind that although manufacturers issue recommended mileage change indicators, they are only that, indicators. If you were to buy a brand new car with, say, 35,000 as a recommended mileage to change the belt but it snapped at 25,000 they'd be under no obligation to cover it under warranty as they can be notoriously inconsistent.

When my Dad bought his first car with a cambelt (in 1971) I can remember reading in the brochure he brought home that....."the virtually indestructible neoprene cam belt should last the life of the car", which is a far cry from the mileages most manufacturers suggest. I'm not even sure if some manufacturers suggest a time to change, just as they don't suggest service intervals.

I wouldn't want you to become paranoid about it, but to be on the safe side I'd seriously advise you to have it changed at the earliest opportunity. Even if it didn't need it, that's one part of a car's maintenance you shouldn't leave to chance and at least you'd have the peace of mind in knowing it's not going to let go all of a sudden

Thanks Very much for this mate ;) i Will buy the kit on Monday and change it ASAP.
Another funny question from the pictures which i have seen of the car i realise that it is only a 4 Seater... Am i right ? have a look at the pic X_X :worship: (pic in attachments)

Attachments

• xxxx.jpg
    xxxx.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 35
I've had a quick look around the official FIAT used car site and although I can't find any with leather trim, of the cars that show a picture of the rear seats, they all seem to have a third rear belt which seems to be located just to the right of the LH head restraint.

So I'd go with middo there.

Back