Technical Brand new 595C Competizione humming noise from the rear

Currently reading:
Technical Brand new 595C Competizione humming noise from the rear

I've recently leased myself a brand new 595C Competitzione MTA in Campovolo Grey with the brown leather interior. I'm mostly very happy with the car however, one problem has cropped up after only 250km's of driving. On most road surfaces there is a distinct humming noise coming from the back of the car. It's not engine speed related but rather road speed related. It's audible over the quite loud exhaust at any speed above 70kph and get louder as the speed increases. The sound is there whether the car is cold or hot. It sounds like either a wheel bearing or tire related noise. It's riding on 17 inch Michelin Pilot Sport 3's. I've read that these tires can be quite noisy especially until they bed down however in my mind the current noise is a few levels above what is expectable and its definitely a hum rather than road rumble.

Has anyone else had a similar experience and if so what was the solution? I'm mentally preparing myself for taking it back to be looked at with only 360km's on the clock. I've owned Fiat's and Alfa's since 2006 and I cancelled a new Volvo XC40 Inscription PHEV at the last minute when this became available so I'm more than a tad disappointed that its potentially gone wrong in such a short space of time.

No, but it's quite weird it's riding on PS3s, that's a very old tyre design now. Is that the normal Abarth tyre type in Dubai?

Definitely something to log with the dealer - a car that new shouldn't be making the same sort of moaning noises as a 15 year old (either car or teenager). It might be something as simple as binding brakes or something caught in the rear caliper, but you buy a new car to be free from investigating those sort of issues, so make the dealer do their job.

All four tyres have 2021 date codes, fronts are 2021 and rears are 2821. I do notice some slight marking on the driver side rear brake disk. No deep scratching but definitely a discernable mark on the disc so it's possible a stone has gotten wedged between the disc and the pad. The sound also does change in pitch slightly under braking. I'll have to take it back to the dealer then, bit of a pain because there's only the one agent for the entire UAE.

Had something similar with my Panda 100HP. Turned out to be the bearings. There was no noise or play detectable with the rearwheels in the air so I was convinced it had to be cupping of the tires.
But after changing to winterwheels (probably not needed in the UAE), the noise was still there. Changing the bearings was easy and cheap enough and did the trick.

gr J

For me it´s also quite likely that something is impacted in the brake as the car is quite as brand new.
Regarding the tyres. The PS3 is not a bad tyre (in my opinion not bader that the PS4 and longer lasting), but it is not so fuel efficient (rating E) and to meet the CO2 emissions the vehicle is certified for in Europe, those tyres do not match. For other non EU markets this is not a problem.
By the way a nice color combination.:)

For me it´s also quite likely that something is impacted in the brake as the car is quite as brand new.
Regarding the tyres. The PS3 is not a bad tyre (in my opinion not bader that the PS4 and longer lasting), but it is not so fuel efficient (rating E) and to meet the CO2 emissions the vehicle is certified for in Europe, those tyres do not match. For other non EU markets this is not a problem.
By the way a nice color combination.:)

Yeah, I really liked the PS3s on the Peugeot 306 I had about 8 years ago, but they often come up in 'bargain offers' from UK tyre fitters since they're such an old design. I've got PS4s at the mo, and they're a very nice tyre too; PS3s are actually more expensive in the Abarth 17" tyre size because they have to be specially ordered, so PS4s was a no-brainer for me. Judging by the way prices are dropping to 'mid range' level I'm guessing there will be a PS5 soon.

@aparsonson that does sound like a pain and is most likely something you could sort yourself if it is just a stone, but I'm not sure on the warranty status of jacking a car up and performing DIY maintenance on the brakes, so you might be stuck with going to the dealer anyway.

Last edited:
Yeah, I really liked the PS3s on the Peugeot 306 I had about 8 years ago, but they often come up in 'bargain offers' from UK tyre fitters since they're such an old design. I've got PS4s at the mo, and they're a very nice tyre too; PS3s are actually more expensive in the Abarth 17" tyre size because they have to be specially ordered, so PS4s was a no-brainer for me. Judging by the way prices are dropping to 'mid range' level I'm guessing there will be a PS5 soon.

@aparsonson that does sound like a pain and is most likely something you could sort yourself if it is just a stone, but I'm not sure on the warranty status of jacking a car up and performing DIY maintenance on the brakes, so you might be stuck with going to the dealer anyway.
I would've jacked it up and checked the brakes, bearings and tires on my own. Only problem is the car doesn't come with a jack, wheel brace or spare wheel which is annoying. I've only moved to the UAE about 7 months ago so I haven't gotten round to building up a collection of tools again. I'm going to try driving it and trying the brakes and handbrake to see if the sound changes at all, otherwise I'll ring up the guy who sold it to me to have it sorted.

So the problem turned out not to be the wheel bearings or tyres but the rear brakes. The dealer hinted that new pads with new drilled Brembo disks need some time and distance to bed in properly and quiet down.

I've put another few hundred kilometres on the car (upto 850km) and they've quietened down alot so hopefully they'll be completely bedded in and quiet by the 1000km mark.

One other thing that surprised me about the latest Competitzione is that the Abarth/Sport button no longer changes the tone of the exhaust at idle. Underway it's definitely louder with crackles and burps that's aren't there in normal mode. Seems like either some new 2021 law has mandated new idle noise levels or perhaps there is a UAE specific law about idle noise levels, regardless its still epic fun.

So the problem turned out not to be the wheel bearings or tyres but the rear brakes. The dealer hinted that new pads with new drilled Brembo disks need some time and distance to bed in properly and quiet down.

I've put another few hundred kilometres on the car (upto 850km) and they've quietened down alot so hopefully they'll be completely bedded in and quiet by the 1000km mark.

One other thing that surprised me about the latest Competitzione is that the Abarth/Sport button no longer changes the tone of the exhaust at idle. Underway it's definitely louder with crackles and burps that's aren't there in normal mode. Seems like either some new 2021 law has mandated new idle noise levels or perhaps there is a UAE specific law about idle noise levels, regardless its still epic fun.
Hi @aparsonson , so I’ve just picked up my new abarth 595C in exactly the same color and specs as yours. Congratulations we have great taste. Unfortunately i am experiencing the same issues you mentioned. I have dropped off the car at the service center for analysis and i am hopeful they find the issue. Could you please share any update on if that annoying noise has gone away? I am a bit fearful looking at the technician’s reactions that he had no clue what was going on. My brand new car has been in the shop for 4 days now without an update. Kindly let me know if things have settled down or you are still experiencing that sound.

Hi @Shaz13 Congratulations on the new Abarth! It's fantastic to see more people in the UAE buying and enjoying them, and I look forward to the possibility of spotting you in the Dubai traffic.

Unfortunately the service center in Dubai does not seem to be that interested in working with these cars. They appear to be more interested in the Chevrolet franchise part of their business.

The humming sound on my car comes and goes but it is happening much less often now and is not nearly as loud. In my case it is most definitely related to the rear brakes. If I pull up gently on the handbrake when it's making the noise the pitch of the sound will change or sometimes it will completely go away. When the car was brand new it was quite loud but it is definitely quieter now. So far my car has only done about 2000km in 6 months but the sound is definitely happening less often and not as loudly anymore.

If your problem is also definitely related to the rear brakes I would suggest driving the car for a thousand kilometers to see if it beds down. The alternative is for the service center to replace the rear brake pads and perhaps the discs too.

Hi @Shaz13 Congratulations on the new Abarth! It's fantastic to see more people in the UAE buying and enjoying them, and I look forward to the possibility of spotting you in the Dubai traffic.

Unfortunately the service center in Dubai does not seem to be that interested in working with these cars. They appear to be more interested in the Chevrolet franchise part of their business.

The humming sound on my car comes and goes but it is happening much less often now and is not nearly as loud. In my case it is most definitely related to the rear brakes. If I pull up gently on the handbrake when it's making the noise the pitch of the sound will change or sometimes it will completely go away. When the car was brand new it was quite loud but it is definitely quieter now. So far my car has only done about 2000km in 6 months but the sound is definitely happening less often and not as loudly anymore.

If your problem is also definitely related to the rear brakes I would suggest driving the car for a thousand kilometers to see if it beds down. The alternative is for the service center to replace the rear brake pads and perhaps the discs too.
@aparsonson thanks for the feedback. You are absolutely right, it is very unfortunate but they do tend to ignore the Abarth side of the business and chalk it down to random noise. I did contact them today post your response and it turns out they are still unable to diagnose the problem. I have shared your words and suggestions with them along with a sound clip detailing the very annoying buzzing sound. I hope this helps them identify the problem. I have also shared a few suggestions from other forums as well with people facing a similar issue. Hopefully we find a solution and if i do i will be sure to share it with you. Lets hope they can diagnose this issue. Thanks for your support.

rear bearings.. or road noise..

I have Pirelli with rear seat delete.. oh my tyre noise is ridicules

@aparsonson thanks for the feedback. You are absolutely right, it is very unfortunate but they do tend to ignore the Abarth side of the business and chalk it down to random noise. I did contact them today post your response and it turns out they are still unable to diagnose the problem. I have shared your words and suggestions with them along with a sound clip detailing the very annoying buzzing sound. I hope this helps them identify the problem. I have also shared a few suggestions from other forums as well with people facing a similar issue. Hopefully we find a solution and if i do i will be sure to share it with you. Lets hope they can diagnose this issue. Thanks for your support.
Hey mate, have you had any feedback from the agent as yet? I took my car out for a longer drive today and the noise is nearly gone. My mileage is 2300km's at the moment.

Hey mate, have you had any feedback from the agent as yet? I took my car out for a longer drive today and the noise is nearly gone. My mileage is 2300km's at the moment.
I left my car with them for a week and they came back saying “it’s a normal noise found in all cars” I believe they were unable to diagnose the issue. I did have a really strange experience with the noise though; I hit a speed bump at a slightly higher speed and the noise went from loud to muffled. I hope that it dies down soon. I’m really happy to hear your noise has reduced, it gives me hope.
Also i have noticed if you accelerate really hard at lower speeds, the noise is much louder, starts whizzing up at around 55kph and just keeps increasing from there. Still very confused and just hoping it goes away on its own. I do intend on taking it to an independent garage, if they do find something i will be sure to let you know.

Back