Any advice welcome

Currently reading:
Any advice welcome

imported_Suzie

Hey everyone I have a question to ask about my 1.2 Fiat 500 sport. A message appeared on the dash saying insufficient engine oil pressure stop and turn off. So done this every time it happened and then someone said try putting oil in the car so I opened the oil cap to put the oil in and the cap and bit you put the oil in was stinking of petrol!! I have spoke to a some people and most people have said its a new engine job but I was wondering if anybody had experienced this before??
I've only had the car 5 months and it's a 13 plate.

Thanks Suzie x

I'd start by getting it serviced. Get the oil and filters all changed and take it from there. There's really no way the petrol should be getting directly into the oil without there being other majorly obvious issues like no power, plumes of smoke etc! how has fuel consumption seemed before the issue came up?

It had a full service before I bought it so that was 5 months ago. The fuel was good but recently it has been going through about a tank to a tank and a half a week and I do max of 60/70 miles a day

Low oil pressure can be 3 things.
1) low oil. Did you check the oil level on the dipstick? (Quick edit:do these new fangled cars even have a dipstick nowadays?)
2) Dirty oil pressure sensor. Back to the dealer...
3) Oil pump blocked or dying. Again... back to the dealer

Suzie said:
It had a full service before I bought it so that was 5 months ago. The fuel was good but recently it has been going through about a tank to a tank and a half a week and I do max of 60/70 miles a day

It may have been serviced but that's not to say they did it right! i'd defo take it into the dealer and get them to sort it but as said, my first port of call if i was doing it myself would be to change the oil and filter, A) it would be a good way to make sure what was in there was correct and at the correct level, B) emptying the sump will allow an examination of exactly what is in there now and how much. Means you'd be able to get a sniff of what is there too, if any kind of petrol is in there, you'd spot and smell it a mile off.

How does it drive? does it feel sluggish, down on power at all? any smoke?

If it is under warranty back to the dealers.

If the warranty is gone, the above advice is the best starting point. As said because you were told it was serviced, doesn't mean it was. Especially true knowing AC and why I precisely have my car serviced independently. As long as you buy genuine Fiat/Abarth parts and keep the receipts, your warranty remains intact.

I found out what the services from dealers are like when I picked up my last car, an Abarth Punto Evo Esseesse. Car was just serviced, just Mot'd. Had 4 buckled wheels 'they missed' and the air filter which is supposed to be cleaned yearly didn't look like it had ever been taken out. They are p#!s poor.

Thanks for the advice everyone they gave me the car back saying they changed the oil and I've to check the oil levels every day and drive it like normal. But last night the message appeared again so it will be going back to them. The car is still under warranty but parks are useless it took them 8 times to fix the rattling airbox and then it started rattling again and it turned out it was the condenser unit and not the airbox so I don't have much faith in them if I'm honest lol

Keep taking it back to them and make sure it's logged, and even better, keep a diary of when you take it back. Wouldn't surprise me if they are trying to fob you off until the warranty is out.

Funnily enough a few people have said that. Because the warranty is up in a few months thats when parks will start to find all the problems but they must be sick of the sight of me I'm in there pretty much every week with the car lol

If you are in a position to do so, just leave the car with them and tell them not to contact you until it's fixed properly, and you won't be taking it back until you have completed a successful test drive with a mechanic beside you to prove it's OK.

Oh and I'm sure if it takes longer than a certain amount of time, you can either get compensation or another car.

Can you tell I can be a bastard of a customer when there's a problem? Hahaha

Back