Technical Anti Roll Bar bushings

Currently reading:
Technical Anti Roll Bar bushings

.... or also known as torsion bars, stabilizers and a bunch of other names. As our cars are getting older, and Fiat only sells the complete kit ( if you can find it), how do we buy new rubber bushings for the anti-roll bar? They are available pretty much every where online, but there is no consensus about the size and form.
The 2 outer bushings (7750990) are available pretty much everywhere for a few Euros.
The inner bushings are also available, but: 3 different shapes and 5 different interior diameters.
I can find 7750 numbers, but do I need 990's, 982's, 983's? Are they round, or D-form?
I could crawl under the car first and disassemble 1, or just ask if any of you fellow b drivers have an answer ;)
If they need to be replaced is not the question. Having the right ones at hand would just be a lot easier.
thanks

Get a vernier caliper and measure the diameter of your anti roll bar. This determines the ID ( internal diameter) you will need with the bushes, hence why there are different sizes in round form. Common issue with some Alfa models other than Fiat’s.

Thanks very much for your reply. The ID seems to be a strange b idiosyncrasy. I talked to a guy this afternoon (I am in in NL) from barchettaparts.com in Neunen NL. He confirmed that it is weird but true: measure, then order. Talking to some other mechanics, an interesting tip: Better to buy too big than too small.
Too small will just not compress. It might work, but it will be a real struggle, and you won't be happy with the result.
Too big: cut a strip of bicycle inner-tube to fill up the space. If you're really stuck, cut a short piece of cheap garden hose.
Conclusion: try to get the right part.
If that doesn't work: use the above mentioned solutions. But keep in mind: To loose doesn't solve your problem; too tight will wear out fast.

A bit of perhaps interesting technical news:
I replaced the front inner and outer anti-roll bar bushes this weekend. Also the rear shocks because one was dead.
To be honest, for the feel of the drive and the usual noises it did not make one f***ing bit of difference ;) So the problem is obviously something else. But the simple stuff is out of the way and will show its value with new front wishbones and track rod-ends.
All really simple if you can put the car up on a bridge. A bit of silicone spray and brute-force to get the outer bushings in place.
The inner bushing are not welded ( as I have read many times on the form ). But a light tick with a sharp chisel will easily get them open. I think it is what is called a blind rivet: an extension on the lower piece passes through the bolt-hole of the upper piece, and is then flared.
I have 200 euros worth of parts coming in from autodoc to attack the rest of the problems.
For those of you wondering: I have placed multiple orders with autodoc recently. Quick and efficient. Don't try to contact customer service. I don't think they have one. Fully automated. Looking at parts from 7 different site in the US, Germany, NL, FR, BE, UK .... doesn't make any difference. Office in Berlin; distribution via DPD from Poland. All first quality (Delphi) stuff. Watch out for shipping costs. Everything costs 10 euros. So group your order, and it's still 10 euros. What's coming in now is free shipping. I didn't even notice that until just now.
They are fast and efficient and anonymous. Sort of like the Ryan Air of car parts.
This is not a paid advertisement. I hate waiting for parts, and this was really fast.

The inner bushing are not welded ( as I have read many times on the form ). But a light tick with a sharp chisel will easily get them open. I think it is what is called a blind rivet: an extension on the lower piece passes through the bolt-hole of the upper piece, and is then flared.

I thought as much as doing the ARB myself. Was a bit tricky moving it out with exhaust still in position. But good to know how to split the housing as quite a few vids on YouTube with Alfa owners drilling out big holes prior them splitting open.

Back