Technical Another exhaust flexi failure

Currently reading:
Technical Another exhaust flexi failure

MadAlicesDad

I have two daughters, each have a 2008/9 1.4 500. Each car has a cheap aftermarket exhaust fitted. I fit them myself and know that all the mounts are present and the exhaust is properly supported along its length. The exhaust hangs correctly before I bolt up the main flange so I know there is minimal torsion on the flexi but every 18 months/2 years the flexi joint fails. The rest of the system is intact. this is the 4th one to date (on 2 cars)
I can buy replacement clamp on flexi pipes off the Bay for <£20. Before I crawl under the car in sub zero temperatures, has anyone done this and know what size I need?

Mike

Exactly my thoughts. A new exhaust every 2 years was a 70's thing but these arent rusting, the flexi is failing. Possibly all after market exhaust makers use a flexi that just outlasts the warranty?

Exactly my thoughts. A new exhaust every 2 years was a 70's thing but these arent rusting, the flexi is failing. Possibly all after market exhaust makers use a flexi that just outlasts the warranty?
Are your engine mounts ok, It could be that excessive rocking of the engine is causing them to fail?

Are your engine mounts ok, It could be that excessive rocking of the engine is causing them to fail?
Could be, I did consider that a few months ago but the two top ones seemed visually ok (too cold and dark to look at the moment).
They seem fairly easy to replace (when not cold and dark). Any hints/tips?

However, once that job is done, the flexi will still be broken. Anyone tried using a repair joint?

Back