Technical Another air induction kit question

Currently reading:
Technical Another air induction kit question

Geocalico

First of all, I'm not trying to increase the bhp of my MK2 8v or make it sound like a Ferrari. This is a pure practical question because my current airbox is broken and the breather pipe is also split so a replacement is necessary. A direct replacment is not feasible because the plastic lug on the throttle body has snapped so I'm looking at fitting an induction kit.

So I'm simply looking for advice on what to buy. I've looked through previous threads on this but noticed that the cheapo Focus Induction Kits don't appear to exist any more on EBay. There is a universal induction kit on EBay but I can't see how it can be adapted to fit a Punto.

Any help would be great....cheers x

First of all, I'm not trying to increase the bhp of my MK2 8v or make it sound like a Ferrari. This is a pure practical question because my current airbox is broken and the breather pipe is also split so a replacement is necessary. A direct replacment is not feasible because the plastic lug on the throttle body has snapped so I'm looking at fitting an induction kit.

So I'm simply looking for advice on what to buy. I've looked through previous threads on this but noticed that the cheapo Focus Induction Kits don't appear to exist any more on EBay. There is a universal induction kit on EBay but I can't see how it can be adapted to fit a Punto.

Any help would be great....cheers x

Not what you want to hear, but technically changing the induction system / airbox is a change to the emissions control equipment and could result in a failure under the new MOT rules. It's not clearly defined in the manual so down to individual testers. Might be worth having a word with your local test station and see what they say.

Robert G8RPI.

The plastic lug on my throttle body has broken as well, good old cable ties have fixed that issue. Obviously a pain in the bum when I need to take it off as I have to cut the cable ties and replace them. Certainly cheaper than replacing the unit for want of a bolt hole!

A direct replacment is not feasible because the plastic lug on the throttle body has snapped so I'm looking at fitting an induction kit.

a tube of Araldite glue will cost no more than £5, have you asked your insurance company what difference an induction kit will make.

depending on your insurer you could have your policy cancelled for modifications to the engine.
i've never known an induction kit to be a straightforward swap unless you spend a few hundred on a specific tailor made solution, cheap kits are almost always a bodge and will still leave you with problems to solve.

On the contrary; it probably IS what I want to hear. The cost of a replacement airbox and breather hose is as expensive as cheapo induction kit from EBay. So if the consensus is that a bodged kit will create more problems than it's worth then I may as well get a replacement standard airbox. Cheers

I'm not ashamed to use zip ties on my car. My driver-side light unit is held is place with several elastic bands

Back