Alfa Romeo book author needs Fiat photos

Currently reading:
Alfa Romeo book author needs Fiat photos

Robertf

I posted this on newbie central but thought I might get more response here....

I'm a long-time Italian car enthusiast, lucky enough to have owned several great Italian cars, Ferrari 308, Maserati 3200, Alfa 147GTA and 3.0GTV, and of course a few Fiats Cinq sportings (X2) and my current Fiat 500 1.4.

Last year I signed a book publishing deal with Crowood Motoring Press for a book project relating to the Alfa Romeo GTV and Spider (1994-2005).

I've joined partly because I am currently trying to source a few last pictures to be used in the book. I can't offer any payment, but I can guarantee a photographer's credit in the book if published.

The pictures I am really keen to source are:

A nice Tipo and Tempra photo (any models)
Possibly a good Croma photo, especially if the photo contains one of the other Tipo Quattro cars (alfa 164, Thema or Saab 9000)
A really nice Fiat Coupe photo
Fiat Barchetta

Each photo has to have been taken by you, and needs to be a minimum of 1500 pixes wide.

If you have a picture you think might fit the bill please do let me know!

Looking forward to meeting and talking to you all!
Robert Foskett

I am currently trying to source a few last pictures to be used in the book. I can't offer any payment, but I can guarantee a photographer's credit in the book if published.

Hi I don't want to come across as rude but as a photographer (both as a hobby and paid for publish) I have lost track of the times I've heard requests like this!

Photographers credit doesn't pay the bills or even a cup of coffee. Yet I have a very strong suspicion that you're not writing the book for free?

Photography is not a cheap hobby with any sort of decent SLR costing hundreds even thousands of pounds.

There are a million and one stock photographs out there that would fit your purpose but you ultimately want something for nothing so you can make money off the back of it.
Not wanting to put off anyone who wants to help you out, however any true photographer will tell you to take a walk.

The only freebies I ever do is for charity

Hi I don't want to come across as rude but as a photographer (both as a hobby and paid for publish) I have lost track of the times I've heard requests like this!

Photographers credit doesn't pay the bills or even a cup of coffee. Yet I have a very strong suspicion that you're not writing the book for free?

Photography is not a cheap hobby with any sort of decent SLR costing hundreds even thousands of pounds.

There are a million and one stock photographs out there that would fit your purpose but you ultimately want something for nothing so you can make money off the back of it.
Not wanting to put off anyone who wants to help you out, however any true photographer will tell you to take a walk.

The only freebies I ever do is for charity
Im not photographer, and dont know alot about it, but id have to agree with you.

I can understand your opinion.

Its true I'm not writing the book for free, but any money I am likely to earn from the book will probably not do much more than cover the books and brochures I bought during the research phase. Motoring books sell in tiny volumes, and if I wanted to earn money writing I would have chosen a different subject. I'm not a professional author nor do I expect or aim to do more than cover my costs. I did it because I think the cars are underappreciated and deserve to be documented.

I've also invested in a digital SLR myself and have taken over 100 of the photographs that will appear in the book, but I haven't been able to get every photo I'd like over the last year or so.

I'm enthusiastic about my project, and I want it to be as good a book as I can make it - part of that is getting good photos into the book. Your view as a professional photographer is of course valid, but there may be some enthusiasts who would enjoy seeing a picture of their own car in print - there certainly are several Spider and GTV owners who have been of that view and who have been kind enough to permit me to use their pictures.

I'm sorry for any offence caused by the request, and won't push the request any further on this forum.

Back