Technical Adjusting the camber?

Currently reading:
Technical Adjusting the camber?

edessex

Established member
Hi guys and gals!

When I bought my (current) Uno, I took it to the garage to have the camber adjusted, it was visibly out!
They adjusted it the best they could, saying it was still slightly out but it was the best they could do (it was lowered, not sure if that makes a difference).

Anyway, over the past couple of months I have re-vamped the suspension system... it is now sitting back at the correct ride height on new (standard) springs and shocks all round. Also has new front wishbones, front top mounts, and new front anti-roll bar bushes.

Now, obviously I have had the front suspension completely in pieces. I now want to check and adjust the camber. But how?

The garage charged me an absolute fortune, and I only found one garage that could actually do it, so its not as if I can shop around for a better deal.

So, how do I adjust it?

It's build date is August 1994, Uno 60D.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

The camber on a standard uno is not really adjustable to be honest.

The only way you maybe able to get a small amount of adjustment(maybe 0.5 degree if your lucky) is to loosen the bottom shock bolts and either push the top of the wheel inwards (neg camber)or pull the top of the wheel outwards (pos camber) then tighten the bolts up while holding it there.

The only other ways to adjust the camber on the front of the uno is either adjustable top mounts,camber bolts,or you can elongate the top hole on the bottom shock mount to gain more adjustment.

Alot of people prefer to elongate the hole than camber bolts, just make sure it all done up very tight after.

http://www.gtiroc.com/forums/showthread.php?41435-Coarse-Camber-Mod

Any adjustment in camber will effect your tracking so after adjusting you will need to get you tracking setup.

You are also correct about when you lower your car it affects the camber.
Lowering the car will add alot of negative camber,and as mentioned any change in camber effects your toe.
So where you have now raised your car the tracking will be out,infact any change in suspension parts will more than likely affect your toe so its always worth getting it checked.

You can adjust camber with a cheap gauge like this...
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gunson-Tr...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item45fdc9dcd1

Its pretty crude but will get it close,you will proberly have to get the camber reading of the brake disc with the wheels off,unless you can get it through the spokes on you wheels or have a flat metal bar you can hold across the face of the wheel to get the measurement off.
The car will also have to be perfectly level to get a correct reading,or it will differ from side to side when its on level ground.

But then you still have the tracking to do which is a little harder,it can be done with string and a lot of measuring,but i am not sure how to do this tbh and use tracking gauges instead which are not cheap.

Last edited:
This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Doh double post edit lol.

Also the reason your camber was orginally out from side to side when it was lowered, was proberly not down to the lowering, but more than likely due to a bent wishbone or worn bush.

Last edited:
Hi, thanks for the reply. I did have a feeling that would be the case.

The garage did manage to get them pretty straight last time, but one tyre, wheel balancing, tracking and camber cost about £165... :mad:

I have one tyre wearing on the inner edge, but I think that was before I changed all the suspension.

I'll keep my eye out for those adjustable bolts, when they are going cheap.

I did replace the strut bolts with ones from a hardware shop, but they are still the same diameter.

Yep garages aint cheap nowadays and most of that cost was proberly to hook it up to the machine in the first place to measure the camber.

As for your tyre wear it could still be down to your tracking.
Some people say that camber change dont wear you tyres as long as the tracking is correct.
Not sure what i beleave on that matter tbh,but i do think you would have to be running a fairly noticeable amount of camber for it to wear the tyres.

Its more likely to be a tracking problem, to much toe out in your case.

I think an uno proberly wants setting up with a slight bit of toe in tbh, as when you get weight in the car the wheels will tend to toe out a little bit.

Back