General Abarth Panda

Currently reading:
General Abarth Panda

I saw this article a couple of days ago & think it's a great idea. The current Panda was great in 100HP guise but Fiat never shouted about it so many people see the Panda as abit of an OAP-mobile.

By giving the new Panda an Abarth flagship version it should hopefully raise it's profile more.

Like it! (y)

car_photo_476320_25.jpg

But not all good news as slower than the 100HP:

Auto Express can exclusively reveal the car will be powered by a tuned version of Fiat’s 875cc two-cylinder turbo TwinAir engine. It’s expected to offer at least 110bhp – enough for 0-62mph in 8.5 seconds.

And a slower top speed of 110mhp but you get back 60mph (prob at 50/60mph).

But not all good news as slower than the 100HP:

Auto Express can exclusively reveal the car will be powered by a tuned version of Fiat’s 875cc two-cylinder turbo TwinAir engine. It’s expected to offer at least 110bhp – enough for 0-62mph in 8.5 seconds.

And a slower top speed of 110mhp but you get back 60mph (prob at 50/60mph).
A full second faster to 60mph and only 2mph less top speed?

Sounds like a decent tradeoff to me, it's not like any Panda is particularly fun right on the top speed anyway.

Nice, though would be better with the 1.4 multi air engine as the output potential is much greater.

When are they going to bring a bravo with the 1.8TBi engine from the guiletta! Looks like that's going to be my next car - but a bravo abarth version would top my list i think :)

Wait and see I guess. The Abarth stripe on this mock-up is a bit lazy as the writing has no perspective.

That said, economy-wise, as long as it's only as bad as the 100hp that's fine. A screaming twin - what's not to like?

Plus, I'm hoping that the 5 speed box means a tighter turning circle.

By the way - I have already pre-ordered a 2013 4x4 model and am just nipping off to Woodleigh so they can put it on pre-sale for £35000

Wait and see I guess. The Abarth stripe on this mock-up is a bit lazy as the writing has no perspective.

That said, economy-wise, as long as it's only as bad as the 100hp that's fine. A screaming twin - what's not to like?

Plus, I'm hoping that the 5 speed box means a tighter turning circle.

By the way - I have already pre-ordered a 2013 4x4 model and am just nipping off to Woodleigh so they can put it on pre-sale for £35000

It should be given a 1.6 16v engine with an 160bhp output to make it part of the Abarth family as at the moment the stats make it look a bit under powered. (y)

But, Fiat can't have it usurping the 500 Abarth.

Like the idea of a Panda Mk 3 with 160bhp - that'd be a real Abarth. Not so sure that Fiat will be determined to protect the 500 Abarth. I've remarked on here before that I see the 500 as a passing fad - if you go retro (and I don't want to rekindle that debate in itself) you have a real problem when the model runs out of steam - do you go more retro and produce a 500 with suicide doors like the first 500 Nuova had, or go even more retro and produce a Topolino lookalike? or become gimmicky and produce Dolce e Gabbani limited editions? - or do you wait for the cutesy look to become tired? In each case you see sales falling away. By the time a Panda Abarth would be likely to appear - say spring/summer 2013 - I reckon the 500 Abarth will have shot its bolt and a Panda Abarth, with a hefty premium, bringing the price tag close to the 500's, will give Fiat more return than the 500.

Like the idea of a Panda Mk 3 with 160bhp - that'd be a real Abarth. Not so sure that Fiat will be determined to protect the 500 Abarth. I've remarked on here before that I see the 500 as a passing fad - if you go retro (and I don't want to rekindle that debate in itself) you have a real problem when the model runs out of steam - do you go more retro and produce a 500 with suicide doors like the first 500 Nuova had, or go even more retro and produce a Topolino lookalike? or become gimmicky and produce Dolce e Gabbani limited editions? - or do you wait for the cutesy look to become tired? In each case you see sales falling away. By the time a Panda Abarth would be likely to appear - say spring/summer 2013 - I reckon the 500 Abarth will have shot its bolt and a Panda Abarth, with a hefty premium, bringing the price tag close to the 500's, will give Fiat more return than the 500.

I kind of agree. I see no need for the Abarth 500 to need protection, I think the sort of person who would buy a 500 Abarth now, will always buy a 500 Abarth so a Panda Abarth wouldn't canibalise sales.

Sadly Fiat's whole strategy at the moment seems to be based on the 500 continuing to be a success. Thankfully a lot of 500 owners are the daft types who replace a car when 3 years old with more or less the same car so Fiat are in luck, but it's not going to last forever......

BMW has made the Mini a success for a long time now, must be nearly ten years.

I see no reason why Fiat would think that they cannot continue to do this with the 500.

The 500 is placed above the Panda in the pecking order, I still think a 500 Abarth will get the goodies over the Panda Abarth. Plus Fiat will not pitch two cars against each other. I would expect the Panda to be at a lower price point in comparison to the 500.

I love the concept, but in marketing terms (as TDQ says above) it makes zero sense. Would have to be A LOT cheaper than the 500, and the article suggests £15k. The Panda simply doesn't have the 500's "appeal" and this seems to be quite a chunk of cash for something with a 110bhp engine.

I love the concept, but in marketing terms (as TDQ says above) it makes zero sense. Would have to be A LOT cheaper than the 500, and the article suggests £15k. The Panda simply doesn't have the 500's "appeal" and this seems to be quite a chunk of cash for something with a 110bhp engine.

The article is BS. All Autoexpress articles are.

Back