Technical Abarth diff failure

Currently reading:
Technical Abarth diff failure

A Hitman

Probably broken down
Hi all

My mechanic says my selespeed Abarth diff has failed. (Lost drive while turning right)
They said that it will need a new gearbox as the diff is inside, however reading the workshop manual it appears it has its own housing?

They quoted 20 hours for the job and I'm not sure if it is worth the expense since the car already has over 200,000km on it...

Has anyone swapped a diff in their car and did it require the entire box to be removed?

I don't have experience of an Abarth, but I doubt the gearbox is different from normal.
It is unusual for the diff housing to be removable from the gearbox, it is usually part of the main gearbox casing. To replace just the diff would require the gearbox to be out, and the casing split, revealing all the internals. That would add more labour to the simple remove/refit job.

Even if the diff has its own housing, and is removable from under the car, it shares teh gearbox oil. Whatever failure has occurred has put debris into the oil, and would need cleaning out thouroughly to prevent later damage. Only sure way to do this would be dismantle the box. A straight replacement is therefore cheaper. I've no idea about availability, but a lower mileage used box might be an answer. Sad to see a car die.

I don't have experience of an Abarth, but I doubt the gearbox is different from normal........A straight replacement is therefore cheaper............a lower mileage used box might be an answer.

100% agree (Assuming your Mechanic knows what he's talking about, and has accurately diagnosed the culprit). If you can find one, that's got to be the most expedient answer, and get a new Clutch in at the same time.

Last edited:

Yep, looks like your diff can come off without removing the gearbox.
BUT!
1. That will depend on space around it, as in the car, things like steering racks, subframes, etc., could make the job difficult or impossible.
2. Gearbox internals need to be clean. Under the car is more difficult to prevent dirt ingress.
3. Spare parts might be more difficult to find than a replacement box.
4. The oil will be contaminated, difficult to ensure that all debris is out, unless the box is stripped.

With the caveats above, you can think about a repair, but needs research. Might need a more sympathetic garage. I'm thinking this is the 5cyl engine. If engine has to come out, consider a cambelt too. (Sorry, more expense)

Back