Technical A strange spillage from the rear

Currently reading:
Technical A strange spillage from the rear

smkhalid267

Hello,
As a newcomer to the site, I wanted to introduce myself.
I have a 2000 Barchetta that I purchased in October 2020.
Since then,I have encountered a few niggling issues with her.
Those being:
1. The dreaded fuel smell after filling up.
2. A strange spillage - which I cannot work out where it is from.
Apart from these issues, she is a joy to drive and I love how she looks!
Any help would be appreciated, in diagnosing what is going on, with either situation.
Many thanks,
Shah

IMG_4986.JPG

IMG_4988.JPG

IMG_4989.JPG

IMG_4993.JPG

Hi.

Looks to me it's a stain from a mix of petrol and underseal. As it dries out it will be quite tarry and smell if "bitumen" ???
So a leak of petrol spreading and dissolving the body work underseal and dripping onto the floor. The leak could be from the seals causing the smell or another source.

Best of luck.

Very strange! Can't you see where it's dripping from?

I agree with turining - it's probably petrol dissolving the underseal. Hard to see what else would produce that kind of slick at the rear, unless you've left something to decompose in the boot. :eek:

Thanks both. I think you are pointing me in the right direction. A replacement fuel neck filler has arrived from Henk today. So i will set about replacing this, as the area around the tank is bone dry.

Attachments

• IMG_4278.JPG
    IMG_4278.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 36
  • IMG_4280.JPG
    IMG_4280.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 33
  • IMG_4457.JPG
    IMG_4457.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 36
Great workshop! What's underneath the yellow covers? :yum:

(Oh, and your B looks lovely!)

Last edited:
So, finally a solution. Two new jubilee clips, lithium grease around the rubbers, and hey presto problem gone and further more, no smell of petrol, at all!
Who knew that it could be as simple as that - I certainly did not!

Attachments

• IMG_0168.JPG
    IMG_0168.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 23
I was just going to post about a very similar issue on the B I’m meant to be delivering to my Dad in the South of France.
Only difference being the leak on this one drips from the rear passenger side just in front of the wheel arch and also stains the lower sill (see photo). How do I access the area you showed with the pipes and the tank?

Attachments

• 79C534C7-E197-4583-8763-40891EA53950.jpeg
    79C534C7-E197-4583-8763-40891EA53950.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 26
By removing the bulkhead behind the the seats. I renewed my jubilee clips over 10 years ago. Can't exactly remember the procedure but it wasn't difficult just time consuming! There have been threads about how to do it.

Back